New module coming from HobbyZone.pl - the Sprue Organizer

HobbyZoneUSA

Here's a sneak peek at HobbyZone.pl's latest creation, the OM14 Sprue Organizer Module. This is designed to work with the modular storage system and sit atop the storage modules using the magnets that are included. We'll pass along the release date and pricing when it becomes available. What do you think?

om14_01.jpgom14_02.jpgom14_03.jpg

I rather take the parts I need from the box, where they are protected, and work on those. I don't want them to be in the open, collecting dust from sanding etc, and expose them to damage.

This module is not for me srry, but I do like the other module's

I rather take the parts I need from the box, where they are protected, and work on those. I don't want them to be in the open, collecting dust from sanding etc, and expose them to damage.

This module is not for me srry, but I do like the other module's

That's how I build as well Theo. I'm not sure about this one either but I'll give it a whirl anyway.

I have actually been looking for a nice sprue rack.  I don't like to put them back in the box as that requires a lot of shuffling to get sometimes a single part.  I have several kits that may have 10 parts for a subassembly and they are all on different sprues.  At my workbench, I have three shelves built into the wall starting at about two feet above my work surface so this can be higher up out of the way to avoid the problem as stated by Theo.

Not sure I would use this either as I highlight my sprues so I can tell them apart, but how about adding a labeling option to the slots so it is easy to pick out 'E' from 'F' or 'H' from 'I'?    Even if all you do is add a batch of labels?

I figure A, B, C are easy.  After that it gets a bit dodgy...

Just a suggestion.  You do have really nice modeling systems!

Chris

Now see I like that! I just haven't been happy with the dish racks and other ways to get the sprues out of the box. I keep each of mine in the plastic anyway, so they won't collect dust or anything else whether they're in the open box top or this rack. I like the idea of having them easily cataloged without having to sort through them in the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine last week so here are my thoughts.  On the plus side, it works well as expected with the other HobbyZone modules.  If you are like me, that is a huge plus as I have a bunch of them and am moving them around from time to time.  Another great feature is that there are several slots for runners but at the same time, the section that "grabs" the runner is small so if you have a thick one or one with a thick piece, it can be arranged so it fits.

Now the bad side.  I tried this with two sets of runners so far.  I placed a 1/20th Tamiya Formula 1 kit, as well as a WnW Albatros D.V.  Both of these, have fairly decent sized runners but for us LSP'ers, it is actually the normal or even somewhat small compared to a few HK items.  That is where the fact that they are the size of the normal modules, that it struggles.  If I placed the runners in landscape format, they will not stay in the organizer.  They will actually tilt out as the depth of the module is less than half the width of the runner.  I had to place them in portrait so they would stay.  This creates another dilemma as the overall height increased dramatically.  On my bench, this wouldn't work as it would put them ever so close to either a light or the shelves I have attached to the wall.  My solution is to place this module on a shelf higher up on my wall that has quite a bit of depth.  I have a label maker so I can add it for the ones that don't have the large flags.  Another bad spot, but this is more because of the kit manufacturer, is that if the runner is very long without any attachment to anything, the whole runner will flex some.  If you don't build the kit soon, you might get warp, but I can't say for sure.  I noticed this with the fuselage and wing runners of the WnW kit.

I do believe this would work great for those that build 1/24th-1/25th autos, some 1/35th armor, and 1/48th or smaller airplanes.  The rest of us, well, you must decide, but at $14 it isn't too bad of a risk to take.