"What a piece of junk!"- Fine Molds 1/144 Millennium Falco

BloorwestSiR

Very cool!

I have a bunch of very detailed closeups I took of the "original" Falcon model from the movie, when it was on display in a museum around 1996 or 1997.   Only problem is they are slides, and I need to scan them.

Anyway, it is amazing how many bits and pieces on it any modeler would recognize as coming from a variety of ship, armor, and model car kits.  This was true of most of the Star Wars models.

Great start!

And I love the title of this thread, by the way! :lol: :speak_cool:

John

Thanks John! I'm not sure everyone has caught the reference but it's fun throwing in movie quotes into the title. Thankfully there aren't any Princess Bride kits out there or we'd be up to our arms in them.

Inconceivable!

NOICE !!! :popcorn: :m0152:

Thanks Maru!

Very cool! This inspires me to resume my LONG term build of the1/72 counterpart. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Tom

I would love to see what you've done. I've got one in the stash but it's aaa bit indimidatingto say the least. Hopefully you do start working on it again.

Very cool!

I have a bunch of very detailed closeups I took of the "original" Falcon model from the movie, when it was on display in a museum around 1996 or 1997.   Only problem is they are slides, and I need to scan them.

Anyway, it is amazing how many bits and pieces on it any modeler would recognize as coming from a variety of ship, armor, and model car kits.  This was true of most of the Star Wars models.

I've got the book "Building a Galaxy" which has some pics of it but it would have been great to have seen it in person.

Carl

This kit is really putting itself together. I decided to give a wash to the details on the inner sides of the mandibles while they were easily accessible.

IMG_20151112_212401.jpg

IMG_20151112_212411.jpg

I then added the docking bays to either side.

IMG_20151112_213927.jpg

Now the fun begins. The engine nozzles are moulded in 1 piece so painting the individual openings was going to be fun. The instructions don't mention anything but I decided to do them in blue. I went thru my paints trying to find a suitable colour when I decided to use an ink instead. This way I figured it would flow easily into the recesses.

IMG_20151112_214532.jpg

IMG_20151112_215337.jpg

I ended up having to paint each side of the recesses but it worked out in the end. The bit of ink that ended up on the surface I wiped off using a cotton bud dipped in windshield fluid.

IMG_20151112_220326.jpg

And installed on the Falcon:

IMG_20151112_234607.jpg

Thanks Matt. I've got so many kits in the stash that I figured I might as well start on them. They're a great break from other more intensive projects on my workbench. Helps keep me motivated.

If you can't find the Bandai Y-Wing, I'd be willing to sell you my Fine Molds one. They're pretty much equal in quality.

Thanks Carl.  I was able to find the Bandai one on Amazon, forgot that's where I bought my X-Wing from.

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks Carl.  I was able to find the Bandai one on Amazon, forgot that's where I bought my X-Wing from.

Matt  :frantic:

Wait till you see inside the box. It sure is purdy.

Coming along nicely Carl!

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm only about 5 hours total into this build. I am running out of things to do on it while I wait for the Shapeways parts to arrive. So I may have to get back to my main project. Sigh...

Carl

Wait till you see inside the box. It sure is purdy.

Thanks Dave, I'm only about 5 hours total into this build. I am running out of things to do on it while I wait for the Shapeways parts to arrive. So I may have to get back to my main project. Sigh...

Carl

yes, that 1/72 FM Millenium Falcon is waiting for you.

:innocent:

Dave

yes, that 1/72 FM Millenium Falcon is waiting for you.

:innocent:

Dave

It is but I was looking at the pair of Mosquitoes clogging up my workbench. I'm thinking that once they're both done along with this Falcon,I might switch SF series and drag out a build from my shelf of doom. Something from the 12 colonies...