Sold out!

LSP_Mike

In all the WnW "Sold Out" brouhaha, is everyone assuming that all the offerings have the SAME initial production run? After all, the molds didn't go anywhere, as evidenced by recent re-releases. Is WnW just waiting to see what sells?

I don't think so. They genuinely have relatively small runs. They have never re-released the same kit after it's gone OOP.

It's Peter Jackson's company, he's a WWI aviation nut, and it seems to be run on a "what-Peter-wants-next" line, rather than the traditional "what-makes-the-most-money" basis that capitalism employs.

They have promised "Special Edition" kits, with masses of PE and a huge decal choice, but we've been waiting around 6 years for those already.

They seem to have settled on a plan to box OOP kits with a new release, as part of a "Duel" deal. Having said that the latest 3 Albie in one box offering is straight out of the blue.

Who knows what's next? 

I personally would rather see WNW do the 3 pack like the albies rather than a super duper AMS super kit with a ton of P/E that most folks probably wouldn't use. Leave the add on's to the aftermarket or at least do like Eduard with a profi pack and a weekend edition for each kit

. Just my .02.. :DodgeBall:

This is an aspect of the hobby that cheeses me off. You find yourself buying Wingnut Wings kits because they may disappear in the future, which - given time -  turns into a self-fulfilling prophesy. I've fallen for it, massively, and find myself with 58 Wingnut Wings kits. Fifty bloody eight!

Takes me 3-6 months to build one, so that's somewhere between approximately 15-29 years worth. And that's including 3 Felixstowe's and a couple of Gotha's, which will undoubtedly take far longer. Not to mention the other 154 kits. Plus associated after-market, and I buy any and all after-market available.

I like Silver Wings kits. Superb little resin kits, very little clean-up required, great fit, great subjects. I've ended up with 14 of them. I've got a dozen 109's. And I don't even like 109's.

Wow Dean, so you have around 212 kits!! That is a serious amount of plastic and if you DON'T buy ever anymore kits you will need to build 7 a year to get 'em finished in around 29 years. That's scary........over the 29 years how many more far cooler subjects are going to be produced by our favourite manufactures in that time......and how many of those 3 Felixstowe's will you have built as well. Sounds like a pretty cool stash though.

Regards. Andy

Wow Dean, so you have around 212 kits!! That is a serious amount of plastic and if you DON'T buy ever anymore kits you will need to build 7 a year to get 'em finished in around 29 years. That's scary........over the 29 years how many more far cooler subjects are going to be produced by our favourite manufactures in that time......and how many of those 3 Felixstowe's will you have built as well. Sounds like a pretty cool stash though.

Regards. Andy

Exactly!

Couldn't agree more, and it's entirely my own stupid fault.

I've a list of the kits I've decided to definitely sell:

I personally would rather see WNW do the 3 pack like the albies rather than a super duper AMS super kit with a ton of P/E that most folks probably wouldn't use. Leave the add on's to the aftermarket or at least do like Eduard with a profi pack and a weekend edition for each kit

And I shudder to think how much they'll cost.

The base kits are not cheap, but then add on the promised 200+ photo-etch set & the super-duper extended decal set, plus possibly resin pieces a la Special Hobby, perhaps resin crew figures or accessories, and it could run into the $hundreds.

Considering that most potential buyers may well have the original, "normal" kit in the stash, perhaps with HGW detail sets and Pheon decals (like me), I'm not convinced that they would spend a lot more to get a kit they already have, albeit not a "Special Edition". I don't think I would, but that survey of precisely one is statistically very dodgy!

I suspect that's why WNW have not launched any Special Editions yet - they are perhaps waiting for demand to build back-up for the OOP kits.

Edited by DeanKB

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't agree more with this!

Pheon & Aviattic are filling the decal space, HGW are doing the PE bit & Taurus the ridiculously-detailed-resin bit.

So I think WNW have missed the boat a bit. As their normal kits are not inexpensive, I'd imagine the Special Editions would cost very serious amounts of money for what are, essentially, dolled up basic kits. I think Eduards recent P-47 showed it's not an entirely successful strategy.

They should just keep chucking out brand new moulded kits and stick to special boxings for the OOP stuff. I'm a WNW nut (see what I did there?!), but I doubt I'd pay the serious amounts of money required to get a Special Edition when I already have the "basic" version, with HGW, Taurus, Pheon & Aviattic added loveliness.

Can anyone believe this. Someone on EBay is selling the recently discontinued WnW's decal sheet, 30009- Fokker D.Vll (OAW) Fighting Fokkers part 4 for $130.00 plus shipping... Talking about ridiculous.

Can anyone believe this. Someone on EBay is selling the recently discontinued WnW's decal sheet, 30009- Fokker D.Vll (OAW) Fighting Fokkers part 4 for $130.00 plus shipping... Talking about ridiculous.

Is he selling or advertising?

I'd guess the latter.

Yup, but I just watched 2 of these sheets bid up and sell for about that much on evilbay in the last 2 months. He will probably get that asking price...

Guest Clunkmeister

I agree with Andy and Dean on WnW. I easily have 100+ WnW kits, and some Rodent, Special Hobby, HPH, Aviattic, and Alley Cat 1/32 WW1 stuff as well. Not to mention the 1/8 scale Hasegawa stuff, which are a completely special kind of stupid.

Plus three more Felixstowes, three more Gothas, and two AEGs over and above what I've already built.

Not one WnW kit has ever been sold by me with the exception of a couple W.29s when that craze hit on eBay. What's not to like about $800.00 for two kits that cost me $79.00 each?

I almost never build WnW with kit decals anymore. Even less now after discovering Aviattic Linen Effects decals.

Pheon makes great options for Unit markings on every WnW kit as well.

I don't think the plastic is what's collectible. It's the boxing. Collectors buy untouched W.29s that are still bagged. Same with Re.8s.

But not one single Camel. Not my bag, really. Not yet.