Revell F-15E built as a JASDF Aggressor

dmthamade

I reckon that's just about the craziest camouflage scheme I've ever seen. Great work, Don!

Kev

It certainly is different!! The brown i get but the blue is "odd". The patterns are different as well, but different is normal for JASDF Aggressors. I did manage to mask and paint the major areas on the build that follow panel lines, doors, airbrake, under Himomaru, etc. There was quite a bit that needed to be done, took four sessions.

IMG_5437_zpswqpvabjq.jpg

IMG_5438_zps2geedqmh.jpg

IMG_5439_zpsuylay0yb.jpg

IMG_5440_zpswpg5l9xp.jpg

The brown looks off in the pics, looks redder in person. Next to do will be the NMF areas at the rear of the fuselage. Used quite a bit of masking tape in many sizes and frisket paper. Big green ball is what i've used so far.

IMG_5441_zpsm360hnlq.jpg

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since an update, busy with life. Did manage to spend time yesterday applying decals to the build. There were a lot of stencils to be apply, but when compared to pics of the real thing, there should be more. Not sure how or if i'll add more, they need to be on a grey background which means a lot of very small masks over a lot of area. I should have seen the amount earlier instead of just looking at the pics. Darn. Anyway, some pics.

IMG_5455_zps4tpwoilb.jpg

IMG_5456_zpscdsq8p8v.jpg

IMG_5457_zps80ozsevy.jpg

IMG_5458_zpssmyrlpqa.jpg

Going to start on the underside today. Don't have a lot of time for models lately, have to get what i can.

Don

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I did finally manage to get the stencils completed, going to let them dry, recheck, then clearcoat, hopefully by friday. I need to catch up on the subassemblies, now. Have the pylons and drop tanks assembled. I'm using Tamiya tanks and had to modify the kit wing pylons to fit the tanks. Simple matter of widening the slot and cutting notches for the sway braces to fit. The Sidewinder rails were a little too simple, so i added some detail with Evergreen styrene. Centerline pylon is assembled as well, i'll be hanging an ALQ-131 pod from AMS resin.

IMG_5460_zpsjlhdesb1.jpg

IMG_5459_zpsjwujvt0m.jpg

After i prime and paint these i'll start in on the gear.

Don

I've used a lot of tape on this one, should be done with the masking, now. Had to take a step backwards, the tanks i was going to use are undersize, well documented, but i forgot. I have a set of the proper size tanks, assembled, primed, then painted. The tanks on the Aggressors were a mix of painted to match the aircraft, stock grey, or whatever was available. Have seen pics of different aircraft with a mix of tanks, so what i decided to do was paint one the color of the aircraft, and one from another aircraft, just to give it even more color. Masking patterns were different as well, i cose the simplest.

IMG_5461_zpswf3qsoqd.jpg

I've been able to spend a little time with the build, been fighting a stomach virus that's seen me "leaking" at both ends. Starting to feel better.

Don

Had some time to do a panel line wash. I made up my own mix with water, Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, XF-10 Flat Brown, and dishwash soap liquid. Adding the panel line wash really helps to bring out the stencils and odd masking pattern. I have to say, the panel lines really are acceptable now, don't look overdone or heavy handed. I think i'll try sanding them out on my next Italeri F-104. I'm leaving it a bit grimy, most pics show these birds are well used.

IMG_5463_zps5e5l7fch.jpg

IMG_5464_zpsqsk3vgtb.jpg

IMG_5465_zpsfdeidnme.jpg

Don