Kinetic F-86F-40 Sabre *Completed*

BradG

I decided to fit the main gear just to give the kit something to sit on while I paint it. They should be pretty easy to paint and mask around. Anyways I'd test fitted the gear several times with the fit being reasonably snug, then I decided to sit it on it's gear. Hmm, when I picked it up the main gear legs fell out. Turns out the weight of the model blew out the sections where the gear legs fit into, indicated with the arrow. Now consider that I only put 40 grams of weight in the nose, the instructions called for 100 grams. The only real  solution here I can see is making sure the super glue is good and dry before trying to sit it on it's U/C again.

76HFGUO.jpg

You won against that painful fit. I remember i had some issues with the belly, too. My wings were strangely twisted and i looked for a solution for days, i even ended gluing aluminium profiles to strenghten them. But when i glued them, it just solved the problem.

Good luck for you build !

Paint on the lower surface. Looks good, although I have no idea if I've gotten the right colour. I've seen everything from light grey to dark blue and inbetween with the instructions not being very clear either. It looks good enough for me.

ElAXpsr.jpg

In test fitting the windscreen I found it sits about 1mm too high, so I've taken some plastic off the mating surface. It should fit better now, just have to wait for the gunsight to dry.

1pmKhPX.jpg?1

Very nice work Brad.  I've built two of the Italeri 32nd scale Sabres (same kit, except for wingtips and slats) and you've done great justice to this kit.  I have one of these in my stash and it will be an RCAF Sabre 6 ( RCAF 421) based at Grostenquin, France, 1962.  Keep up the fine work.

Mike