1/24 Scratchbuilt Westland Whirlwind Mk.1.

GunnarO

Should have added use the glue stick also sorry :mental: , if the brims not work go with the raft, you can use the glue stick for about 2 or 3 prints then you need to clean the glass with water and re apply.

Thanks, Rick! I'll try that on the next one. This one didn't work out either, but I got more of it...

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

The deep V between the tailplane and the elevator is something I wanted to test. I think I'll leave the elevator attached, so I cut back the tailplane a little to make room for the part of the elevator that's inside the tailplane. I then will use litho plate as skin, and extend it over the V to lie flush with the elevator. hopefully it will look good when finished.

Then I thought I could use the parts as a test bed for puting on litho plates. The really nice thing with the surface quality of the print is that I don't need to  fill and sand anything, I just glue the litho plates on top of the print.

Sorry for the glue mess, I said it was just a test...

IMG_2355.jpg

And then the tailplane skin over front part of the elevator.

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

ok then, more fine tuning of the printer settings...

Cheers

Edited by GunnarO

Thanks guys!

I got the litho plates on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-Litho-Plates-for-Model-Building-pack-of-10-A4-size/391925485031?hash=item5b40944de7:g:9IMAAOSwRvdZaTPC

The rivets were done one by one on freehand with a ruler, so a little dodgy... going to use a finer rivet tool and a template with denser rivet pattern on the model. Got the rivet tool from UMM-USA: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=1322

Cheers

FWIW, and I still have to do a proper trial with mine, but the Silhouette Curio, besides the features (albeit more limited in size compared to the Cameo or Portrait) of cutting masks, has an embossing feature that could be useful for replicating regular rivets lines.

Great technological demo. Love it, as the subject !

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Then I thought I could use the parts as a test bed for puting on litho plates. The really nice thing with the surface quality of the print is that I don't need to  fill and sand anything, I just glue the litho plates on top of the print.

That is a brilliant idea! I have a 1/48 3D-printed kit, which may be a bit small to get away with plating, so I know from experience how time-consuming that surface is to sand. I like your test bed idea a lot!

Some excellent stuff!  I never imagined in my lifetime that someone could print out their own model. 

I have to ask:  What is the difference between litho plate and a sheet of aluminum?

Gaz

Hey Gaz,

They are basicly the same, except the litho plates have been used in the offset printing industry. The litho plates are 0,15mm and I got 10 A4 sheets for £12. Arts and crafts stores have some painted aluminium sheets with the same thickness, but they are £3-4 each. Pure Aluminium foil is much more expensive, a sheet of 0,15x150x150mm is £200. (at least the ones I found...)

Cheers

Moving along...

First complete print with HIPS. After a LOT of trail and error, the first complete print is finished. It's not all good, I have some delamination of the layers. I know however how to fix it, so the top part of the tailplane is tuned in during the print. I think I have the settings ready now, will start a new one tomorrow to check my theories.

IMG_2363.jpg

The surface quality of the HIPS is remarkably good. Comparing to the first print I did with PLA, it's a no-brainer what to use...  :punk:

IMG_2371.jpg

Adding to that, the HIPS is much easier to cut, file and sand and I can use my old Humbrol liquid glue  :yahoo:

Cheers