2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

Damn!  Missed this one.................looks fab Vaughn!  Really like how this one is coming along.........................however................. Im still waiting for a someday re-start on the SA-23E.....................someday maybe.  

Edited by Out2gtcha

Don't be too concerned, Vaughn. You're doing great work, and I for one am definitely watching!

Kev

Thanks Kev, no worries... was just a bit quiet once the styrene dust started to settle ! :hmmm:

Cheers

Vaughn

Damn!  Missed this one.................looks fab Vaughn!  Really like how this one is coming along.........................however................. Im still waiting for a someday re-start on the SA-23E.....................someday maybe.  

Glad you see ya !!  ..as for the Starfury ?.... No promises, but hoping for early to mid summer... fingers crossed !!

Cheers

Vaughn

Love your stuff to bits Vaughn.

You are always so creative and willing to just fold, spindle and mutilate at project if needed to wrestle the results you want from the bare styrene.

Hmmm, maybe you are the Vulcan of the styrene world?  Forging your ideas into reality from the primordial styrene….( I really should get out more :) )

Keep having fun!!!

Dan

Yes, I do believe you either need to get out more... or sniff more glue !! Thanks for the kind words... as for Vulcan ?... I do use heat to melt, form and shape styrene.. so that works !

Vaughn

So, on with the build...There will be a lesson included for those of us with anal detail tendencies ... Forest for the tree's syndrome can make work for us if we are not careful ! Also...I'm using the Imgur photo sharing site for the first time... thus far it is light years better than PB !!!

Looking at pics of the ship in the show and the model, more filling and reshaping is in order over the rear engine section.

dDEsj2R.jpg

H0h1jxC.jpg

Plastic was glued in to fill the area..

Go2N9MT.jpg

While the glue was drying I started looking at the three ribs coming from the head/ main body to the wings. They are different on all three versions, CGI, hero prop and model kit so if you decide to modify the kit as I am, choose the details carefully. After looking things over I just rounded the edge of some sheet, carefully cut it off and glued it on the faces of the ribs to give them a bit rounder, smooth look.

yagqVDw.jpg

There is a second layer to the part that has to be built and this is where I really started to screw up by not paying attention... the part was started by heating .020 over a candle and draping it over a file...

3ZOW5vG.jpg

The part cut from the sheet and trimmed to shape

5JMdNKd.jpg

And the three ribs complete...

9AbCFDr.jpg

I added in the small bar detail and filed the groove shape into the rear of the wing... sat back admiring my work when something started bugging me.....in my ref one of the ribs was supposed to be closer to the rear of the wing.... and then the realization of the difference I'd missed hit me....

The model ....

XHn82vx.jpg

What the CGI & hero prop spacing looks like...

rjRtKxa.jpg

:doh: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

I carefully put everything away for a day......

Nothing for it... time to, as Darkwing Duck say's..'Get dangerous' !

I measured and checked... and found all I had to do was remove and move the center rib... huge relief !  A new chisel blade was used to cut and pry the molded on part...

bc9YilZ.jpg

As careful as I tried to be, it wasn't pretty...

SqIyvAm.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

After much cussin' gluing and praying it came out not too bad... the sides of the body were built out with a sheet each of .020 and .040 as there is no 'step' on the version I'm going for.

DoSwZ4B.jpg

With the 'head' section set on it looks ok... but that was NOT fun !! If you do this form of madness be sure to double check BEFORE you get into this kind of mess !

jwBF6wk.jpg

The build continues.. boldly going where no sane modeler has gone before ! :evil_laugh:

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Greetings all... With new info a choice has been made. My friend Donald put me in contact with Lee Stringer about the issue with the missile weapons bay. My problem was the size, number and placement of said missiles. Often in the show they are shown firing what seem to be swarms of missiles per Raider but most launch sequences are short and blurry. Lee's info has the bay using a rotating launcher much like those used in the modern bombers with 5 missiles per bay. He sent me several meshes from the show which were great but brought up another problem... It seems the show and ship suffer from that old sci-fi problem of the set is too big for the ship ! The model is very close to the meshes used for the CGI ship... and this is a rough side view of the available space...

wACZliQ.jpg

It tapers sharply from front to back... the missiles and launch rack take up a space that is 80 % of the bay door width which is 16 mm or 21/32nds....

m71CFfl.jpg

It follows that the bay would have to be as high as it is wide.... and this is not the case... so no way to build the bay, launch system and missiles and have them fit. :crying:

I'm still gonna think about trying some way to 'fudge' it.. but If I do it will only be on one side... gonna close this side up.