P-51D CAROLINA MOON

Guest Martinnfb

As a child I was intrigued by the look of Revell's "Big" Mustang.

Revell%204778%20P-51D.JPG

And ever since I was trying to find more information about this aeroplane. The only picture that I was able to dig out is this one.

image6.jpg

media-22364.jpeg?itok=2XEGDSQH

Assigned to 383FS, 364FG, 8AF USAAF. Failed to Return (FTR) Area sweep to Berlin, shortly after landfall formation went onto instruments due to overcast, element leader called a break as another group of P-51's where descending onto the formation, contact lost with 2nd Lt Acosta in P-51D 'Carolina Moon' 44-13936, Killed in Action (KIA) near Kiel. MACR 8319.

My question is , is there anybody producing decals or masks for this plane?

Thank You in advance

Martin

Thanks Richard, she is pretty isn't she.

QUESTION 2 for our Mustang experts.

According to American Air Museum Archive 44-13936 was P-51D5-NA, so what about the fillet? Could it vbe one of the first that were retrofitted and if so , what else was altered?

Also it was nicknamed Bettye Jo III , Carolina Moon as a personal aircraft of Major Samuel J. Wicker. Does it mean that  the Bettye Jo was painted on the right side of the engine ?

The next Bettye Jo , number IV had only left side artwork.

p51_364fg.jpg

wicker.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

Thank You in advance

Martin.

You could try asking on PT..see if anyone still has the old decals...and if they're in bad condition you could have them re-done on a lazer printer.

Edited by williamj

Thank You in advance

Martin.

You could try asking on PT..see if anyone still has the old decals...and if they're in bad condition you could have them re-done on a lazer printer.

I could , but I didn't , because the decal font and sizing is just too thick, too wide and too long and too sixties. ....Willian, honestly, you don't like my pictures? LOL

here

p51_2.jpg

Thank You Jack. :)

(overspray n the blades)

0802150450530000001313009507-drysdale20d

Lt Drysdale with P-51 of 364th Fighter Group at Honington; "I walked in, and said, "I want to fly the little one" The Group CO talked to me and said, "Lt., I want you". He Called LeMay at 3rd Division and about four days later I started my second tour in P-51's with the 364th. I should have stayed home-------- I got shot down on my second mission, evaded, and got home in Oct 44

I could , but I didn't , because the decal font and sizing is just too thick, too wide and too long and too sixties. ....Willian, honestly, you don't like my pictures? LOL

here

Love your pics... but you just make me think too much and I end up with a headache.

Edited by williamj

• 2 years later...