Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

Oh, you lucky guy man a left and a right wing in the kit. Mine stalled at the attempt of glueing the wings to the fuselage - had two right wings with the kit, and that did not really work. The importer never even cared to reply to my inquiry...

...my plan was to use the same decal sheet. I seem to remember that PanAm had both types of props and spinners in service, I had a list or link once which aircraft used which prop, but don't know where I put it.

I seem to remember that PanAm had both types of props and spinners in service, I had a list or link once which aircraft used which prop, but don't know where I put it.

That would be fantastic if you could find it, Michael! But I won't hold my breath. I still haven't had a chance to do any real research on the prop issue myself, but with a kit like this, it really is something I can leave until the very end (the props that is, not the research!).

Kev

That would be fantastic if you could find it, Michael! But I won't hold my breath. I still haven't had a chance to do any real research on the prop issue myself, but with a kit like this, it really is something I can leave until the very end (the props that is, not the research!).

Kev

Gimme another day. I gotta check a removed HD. I've got good hopes its on the one that's 'just' missing a partition and not the completely dead one. :)

That took a bit longer than expected, but here we go:

If the Aircraft was originally purchased by PanAm, it carries a 16'6" diameter Hamilton-Standard prop with square tips. These are:

N1022V Clipper Nightingale

N1023V Clipper America, Clipper Golden Gate

N1024V Clipper America, Clipper Cathay, Clipper Bald Eagle

N1025V Clipper America, Clipper Celestial, Clipper Rainbow

N1026V Clipper Tradewind, Clipper Malay

N1027V Clipper Friendship

N1028V Clipper Flying Cloud

N1029V Clipper Golden Eagle

N1030V Clipper America, Clipper Southern Cross, Clipper Reindeer

N1031V Clipper Mayflower, Clipper Donald McKay

N1032V Clipper United States

N1033V Clipper Seven Seas, Clipper Midnight Sun

N1034V Clipper Westward Ho

N1035V Clipper Flying Eagle

N1036V Clipper Washington

N1037V Clipper Fleetwing

N1038V Clipper Constitution, Clipper Hotspur

N1039V Clipper Good Hope

N1040V Clipper Invincible

N1041V Clipper Yankee, Clipper Northern Light

N1042V Clipper Polynesia, Clipper Morningstar

Furthermore, after the aquisition of American Overseas Airlines, a number of their Stratocruisers went into PanAm's inventory:

N90941 Clipper America

N90942 Clipper Glory of the Skies

N90943 Clipper Sovereign of the Skies

N90944 Clipper Romance of the Skies

N90945 Clipper Monarch of the Skies

N90946 Clipper Queen of the Skies

N90947 Clipper Queen of the Pacific, Clipper Good Hope

N90948 Clipper Mandarin, Clipper Eclipse

These ex-AOA aircraft were all fitted with 16'8" diameter Curtiss Electric props with rounded tips.

While the military C-97 usually had bare hubs, all Stratocruisers had spinners fitted (I seem to remember that Minicraft added them to the kit but maybe I got that mixed up with some other kit)

And yeah, the Hamilton-Standard props had a tendency to disintegrate without prior notice and take the whole engine, and as a result the whole plane with it, but sometimes the engines would just let go on their own...

Thanks for that great information, Michael! Fantastic. I can at least now pick an aircraft that features the correct propellers. I'll still have to come up with some spinners somehow, though.

Kev

OK, time for an update with some actual modelling in it. I've started added the engine nacelles to the wings. These actually don't fit all that convincingly:

rR9QBF.jpg

After gluing the two halves together and letting them set for a day, I started by gluing the rear of each nacelle into position and allowing it develop a firm bond for a few hours:

rEPhZR.jpg

You can see the effect this has up front! So the next step is to clamp and glue this end, using Tamiya Extra Thin as my weapon of choice. They now fit about as well as they can:

GUgxza.jpg

I scraped the seams up the front with a curved blade until they were level, and then gave them a working over with a Flory Models skinny sanding sponge (the blue one). After that, I used some Vallejo Plastic Putty to fill the gap; this stuff can be applied and then the excess wiped away with a damp finger or cotton but. This leaves a smooth join with little need for sanding:

5yzj73.jpg

It still looks a bit untidy at the moment, but with a bit of spit'n'polish, and a few coats of Mr. Surfacer, it'll look just fine.

The next step was to start working on the inboard nacelles. These are slightly more complicated, as they house the main landing gear bays. They also fit about as well as the outboard ones. Due to the inherent weakness caused by the wheel bay cutouts, I decided to glue the two sets together while test-fitted to each wing. This way, I could be sure that they would still line up properly when the time came to fit them permanently:

KJrati.jpg

I'll have some nasty open spaces front and rear, though:

frqWUl.jpg

jAJQ4K.jpg

I'm planning to block those off with some styrene bulkheads.

While waiting for all that glue to cure, I started work on removing the resin engines from their large backing sheet:

T0lIqI.jpg

Halfway there! The first one I did came out a little wobbly, thanks to some less-than-straight cutting on my part. Still, a test-fit showed that it will still look OK, so no harm done. I'll be much more careful with the remainder! Earlier, I also did a quick test-fit of the two wings to each other:

PS3k7X.jpg

Not bad, and the resultant dihedral looks pretty good. Of course, getting all those tabs to intersect correctly inside the model is a whole different ball game, but I think I can handle it.

Thanks as always for looking in!

Kev

Neat project Kevin.

The devil of course will be in all the little details but the results will no doubt look superb.

What paints will you be using?  Building these kind of aircraft remind me of building auto models in that the finish has to be spot on of the results are ruined. 

Dan

Thanks Dan. At this stage I'm planning to use Tamiya's Fine White Primer for the white areas, and probably AK Interactive's Xtreme Metal Polished Aluminium for the natural metal bits. Neither of these paints is actually extremely shiny, but having a highly-polished finish in this scale would look wrong in my opinion. So the slightly dialled-back effects of these paints should produce a nice scale finish - though I'll still need to seal the decals with a clear coat, so it may actually be a moot point. We shall see!

Kev

Nice start, Kev! Looks like a few fit issues with that kit...

Coincidentally, I have also had a meal inside a KC-97/C-97 aircraft. But the one I ate in was in McMinnville, at the airport. It was right across the street from where the museum is now. They actually flew it in then gutted it and built the restaurant in it. Strange thing was, when the restaurant went under, they re-fitted the aircraft (not sure how much flight equipment was removed) and flew the aircraft out! Have no idea where it went to.

Nice start, Kev! Looks like a few fit issues with that kit...

Coincidentally, I have also had a meal inside a KC-97/C-97 aircraft. But the one I ate in was in McMinnville, at the airport. It was right across the street from where the museum is now. They actually flew it in then gutted it and built the restaurant in it. Strange thing was, when the restaurant went under, they re-fitted the aircraft (not sure how much flight equipment was removed) and flew the aircraft out! Have no idea where it went to.

Cool story, Ray!

Kev

Like your photos a lot Kevin. I love the Qantas 707. I wish someone would do a 1/144 747SP in injection molded instead of 1--vacuform, 2--Resin, 3---or chopping up a 1/144 747 and scratch building the tail section.

Thanks guys. I've got a couple more in the cabinet that I couldn't find handy photos of, and a growing stash of unbuilt airliners too. This one's already proving to be a bit more work than I bargained for, but nothing dramatic so far.

Kev