Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Love watching you battle through this one Kev. I suspect I enjoy it more than you do ... keep the chin up though, you're doing a terrific job.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I normally do enjoy this kind of challenge, but something about these wheel bays has really ground my goat. Perhaps it's just having a few other things to worry about that has shortened my temper and diluted my resolve. Never mind - I certainly haven't given up!

Kev

Geeze Kev! What a battle! The B-17 is looking quite straight forward compared to this. :)

Keep pushing, I'm certain you can tame this beast.

Craig

Cheers, Craig. This poor attempt at modelling on my part has nothing on the magic of your B-17 - of which I think we're due an update!

Kev

So, despite not actually having a day job at the moment, I'm still really struggling to find any quality modelling time. However, I'm managing to plug away at this one, and work continues on both the fuselage turtle deck and the wheel bays. On the latter, I've now got them both glued in place, and have reinforced them with JB Weld:

fSwPHY.jpg

I still don't know for sure if the upper wings now have sufficient clearance, but I can test it once the JB Weld has cured.

In the meantime, I've been working on getting the resin turtle deck faired in. A while back, Lee White generously sent me some Apoxie Sculpt to try, and even though it was probably overkill for this job, I really wanted to try this stuff out, and this seemed like an ideal opportunity:

ASdSxO.jpg

It behaves similarly to the Milliput that I'm familiar with, but is much more convenient to mix and use. Here it is slathered on to the joins:

a1jpDi.jpg

u4VSAW.jpg

And after much sanding, this is what it looks like now under a coat of Mr. Surfacer:

QjoH1k.jpg

cir1bZ.jpg

Looking good, though not perfect. I managed to sand a bit of a trough into the port side, while the starboard side still has a noticeable hump. I'll keeping working on those, but I'm pretty happy with the way it's shaping up.

Thanks as always for looking in!

Kev

Great work on getting the gear bays to fit into the lower wing Kev! Hopefully the upper wings won't be too far off when you test fit it.

The Apoxie Sculpt looks like it works nice. I'm going to have to find some here and give it a try.

Carl

nice work you are doing here

keep going

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I've tidied up the join around the resin turtle deck as much as I can, and while still not perfect, I think I'll get away with it now. I've also finally been able to get the port upper wing to fit over the Aires wheel bay, though not without causing more damage to it. Once it's permanently fixed in place, I'll sort that out. I have to prepare and install the wing intake parts first, for which I believe I might even have some Eduard PE lying around.

It's nice to be making some progress again!

Kev