Revell P-51 D-5 s/n 44-13586

Jan_G

The main doors should be closed. On newer aircraft it took longer for the hydraulic pressure to bleed down and the doors sag.

When you see Mustangs these days, some bleed down quickly, others sag slowly.

If this was soon after an engine ground run, that look is 100% correct.

Agreed it would be nice to see the workmanship, though. :)

Kermit Weeks has a YouTube segment flying the P-51 and fully explains the door droop. When the aircraft is on the ground and the engine has stopped, the last check is to release the hydraulic pressure fully. This mechanically locks the undercarriage in the down position. If it's not released, if anyone knocks the undercarriage lever by accident the plane might collapse on the tarmac. Absolutely nothing to do with hydraulic failure or bleed down. As an ex-RAF technician it makes sense to me.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Kermit Weeks has a YouTube segment flying the P-51 and fully explains the door droop. When the aircraft is on the ground and the engine has stopped, the last check is to release the hydraulic pressure fully. This mechanically locks the undercarriage in the down position. If it's not released, if anyone knocks the undercarriage lever by accident the plane might collapse on the tarmac. Absolutely nothing to do with hydraulic failure or bleed down. As an ex-RAF technician it makes sense to me.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

What a relief! After reading about Jan's superlative build, I just acquired Eduard's undercarriage set for the wheel wells. It would be a pity if I cannot show them off with the u.c. doors fully closed.

Interesting that, Bruce.  Thanks.  A previous owner of "The Flying Undertaker" explained it to me as I did earlier, and I would believe an RAF serviceman and noted collector like Kermit over an occasional warbird guy like I knew.

However, I do remember seeing old videos and pictures of 8th AF Mustangs with slowly drooping doors, and doors in various stages of droop while sitting in their revetments.

With the Mustang's gear retraction lever down on the floorboard it could be very possible to kick it or jar it with a boot while situating oneself in the seat.

The doors would drop still due to lack of pressure. It's just the usual reasons given aren't valid. It's designed to not be pressurised when SOG (stationary on ground), a completely different situation to having leaks.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Interesting that, Bruce.  Thanks.  A previous owner of "The Flying Undertaker" explained it to me as I did earlier, and I would believe an RAF serviceman and noted collector like Kermit over an occasional warbird guy like I knew.

However, I do remember seeing old videos and pictures of 8th AF Mustangs with slowly drooping doors, and doors in various stages of droop while sitting in their revetments.

With the Mustang's gear retraction lever down on the floorboard it could be very possible to kick it or jar it with a boot while situating oneself in the seat.

The doors would drop still due to lack of pressure. It's just the usual reasons given aren't valid. It's designed to not be pressurised when SOG (stationary on ground), a completely different situation to having leaks.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby