Jim Barry

Hi Joe, Thanks. The added details are starting to give it a good look, better than I expected. This era certainly has plenty of surface details which are pleasant to the eye. Many more to go. The chrome pen/marker is by Molotov and I got it on Amazon. They make different sizes. This was 4mm. It's like painting with mercury but it likes to adhere to surfaces. I did the spinner with it too. I think it might have a place just as a surfacer option as it just dries so smooth naturally. 

In other Fury news, it's come to a point where I can no longer accept the upper wing as built. I did a "good enough"  job and my dislike of having to do it again has kept it in favor, but I keep staring at the errors and the denial scheme is not holding up. Kind of like confessing to a crime, there is a liberation of sorts. 

Ok, back to some Fury action. I've been picking away at the core of the wing over the past few days. I was thinking I'd be working with basswood, but the day I wanted to get to work on this, I was out of basswood and  the hobby store was out of the size I needed so just went with balsa. It'll do just fine  and since there is a lot of sanding to shape, the easier wood here might be better. Might take a bit more surfacer when working the tips to final form. We'll see. Unlike versions 1.0, this version is going to have the embossed styrene in contact with the core all around. In the other version the wing was glued to the bottom but arched over the top almost unattached to anything. It worked "OK" but some inconsistencies with that approach were part of the reason I trashed it.  I have to say that there has been some cross effect working in 3D CAD world. I just think a little clearer about what I'm doing with my hands, how the axes are in play and what's going to to depend on what in the future. One thing scratchbuilders learn (or at least I do) is that it all hangs together. It's not just parts, it's part that work together.  

FullSizeRender%2038_zpsjyhg1vvp.jpg?t=14

You will like the full core approach results much better. * Remember our discussion about the ailerons * :)

You might want contact cement over most of the surface, and use the CA at the final closure. If the core is well sealed and made smooth and glossy, the contact cement will hold very well ( best if both the core and the inner wing skin are sprayed with adhesive, vs brushing on or rolling ) .... Cheers !

Joe

Welcome aboard Dan! Glad you caught up and hopefully glean something from my experience. 

Torben,  Thanks! My other thing/hobby is drawing planes and cars  and art-like efforts with figure drawing and some sculpting. Here are some drawings I did just before I got the bug to build models again. . There are some skill and practice cross overs going on, I suspect. 

IMG_7946_zpsmm724psa.jpg

IMG_7947_zpshhpiuutt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've had a few days to cool off after learning how hosed my my threads are. At my peak anger I was just to going to walk away from blogging here. I'm undecided whether I just continue posting here in this thread and just let the past be imageless (but clickable) or whether to start fresh with a new thread with a summary intro  of pictures to date. (I will do that for my Bearcat thread) .  I just signed up for imageshack and like it ($19 per year). It's SO nice compared to PB with it's mania of ads. Here's a test pic. It works! 

Nh3nFs.png

• 10 months later...