Thai AF L-39ZA/ART in 1/32 scale?

thierry laurent

Thanks. I just got the decals. Even if expensive, they are very nice and very frankly I never thought we would get commercial decals for an obscure version requiring scratchbuilt parts to convert a kit that has probably be sold 250 times!

I do not know if you saw it but the instruction sheets do not cover all the included schemes (e.g.the white dragon tail one is not included). The stencils are not fully comprehensive but I do not believe someone will ever see it except somebody like me who had already recreated all of them! Note that a very small minority of the kit ones may also be used. The inclusion of the IPs is a great idea but unfortunately they are noticeably too small! Oh well, I am not going to complain. The book even if mainly in Czech language is also quite nice and in any case documentation about the plane and that version is rare to say the least... So, it is welcomed as well!

Thierry

Delighted you got them, I'm certainly not going to complain, what's included is so much more than satisfactory for me, I only ever wanted to make a Thai L-39 and now I can!

If anyone is interested in Thai decals - the image shown isn't like that provided - which includes pretty much full stencils, a complete set of unit markings, code numbers etc., this is probably the last sheet available

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/?action=prodinfo&art=143132

Recreating the correct IPs will be time consuming but not really difficult if the work is based on the dimensions of the kit ones. The Sidewinder rails will  not be that complicated to scratchbuild.

What annoys me is the Elbit gunsight. This will be very visible and will be a pain to recreate. The multiple small knobs on the front face and the side supports of the glasses will be very difficult to build... Ideally, this should be made out of photoetched parts!

I found another interesting information for you.

It took me quite a lot of time but I finally identified the Sidewinder rails used on the Thai L-39! I was sure I knew them but could not get their identity out of my memory for a full day... Grrr!

And finally, I considered a logical approach: I simply checked the other planes they were already using... and I found!

They simply use F-5E wingtip rails!