Tamiya 1/32 Early P-51D "Lou IV" finished 07-09-15

MustangManiac

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the complements. I guess maybe your method is what I need to do, I got too anxious and didn't spray a coat or two of future on the model overall to get it sealed up first before trying this new (new to me) Vallejo wash on it.

Brady

Hey, whatever works for YOU is what you should use!     Dont let me sway you if what you have been doing works for you. Im just a bit ham fisted, and even when I get things to line up perfectly prior to paint, it always seems to not-quite-fit after I paint things. I would say its tolerances and the paint thickness itself, but I have not been assembling all WnW kits, so I know thats not it.

Either way, its turning out lovely!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've gotten the flaws I showed you in one of my previous postings and a few more things done to Lou. I did some touch up where I lifted paint on two of the insignias, I painted the D-day stripes on the gear doors when the gear is down and assembled it.  I've also tinkered a bit with some Vallejo wash on the underside of the wings to try my hand at that for the first time and see if I like my results, if not at least it will be on the bottom. After all of this I gave her a good coat of Future floor polish for prep for decals. 

IMG_20150527_065621_053_zpsbdzqxm3r.jpg

IMG_20150527_065730_222_zps1pqzsr49.jpg

IMG_20150527_065755_758_zpshf2apidz.jpg

IMG_20150527_065902_288_zpsuvwjb0rr.jpg

IMG_20150527_065335_058_zpsbjy5tm1k.jpg

IMG_20150527_065157_930_zpsnlchahqs.jpg

IMG_20150527_065431_774_zpsadyupwmf.jpg

IMG_20150527_065454_637_zps5dqv6utk.jpg

That's what she looks like now with only a few small things to add, like the pitot tube and the antenna mast, maybe some more wash, and all the decals of course. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brady

I do have a quick question for you guys on the kit parts themselves. Lou IV had one rear-view mirror on the right side of the canopy windscreen frame, Tamiya gives us 5 mirrors to choose from, not including the clear framed one. I know some of these parts are for when a mustang had a pair of mirrors and not just one. My question is which one of these five parts do I want to use here? I'm guessing I'm wanting to use only one of two parts that are supposed to make a pair. I already tried to cheat a bit by digging out a P-51D/K kit I have and looking at the instruction manual, but these mirrors are all unused parts in both versions of Tamiya's P-51 kits. So can someone help me pick which one I want to use here please. I think I can rule one of the five out because it looks like it's the style that mounts dead center, I'm just kind of stuck here because Lou IV didn't have a clear mirror on the top of the canopy.

Thanks,

Brady

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some weathering with the washes I had on hand. I started off trying the Vallejo washes as I showed earlier on. I didn't like the results I was getting, so I went back to Flory washes. I used these on the rest of the model. I'm now to the place where I'm starting to seal it up with another coat of future before adding decals. I took a few more close up shots so you can see my results on the top. The future was wet when I took pictures, so I couldn't take any of the bottom yet.

IMG_20150607_210531_406_zpswaxy89zj.jpg

IMG_20150607_210543_825_zpsr4vi2tep.jpg

IMG_20150607_210625_809_zpstehhs32v.jpg

That's what she looks like on top now. After this coat of future dries I'll be putting on the stencil decals followed by another coat of future.

I think I figured out which mirror I want to use for the canopy. Now it's just a matter of gluing it on and not ruining the Alclad finish of the canopy frame. That's all for now.

Cheers,

Brady

I'm scaring myself you guys. I got all the decals put on this weekend and gave it another coat of future to seal them in for no lifting later on. Now that I put thus coat on I'm getting some cloudiness on my wings. I think I put too thick of a coat of Future on. Will the cloudiness go away when it's all cured or did I just screw myself on a project I wanted to give to a real WWII veteran?

Thanks,

Brady

It should clear up when it cures. Give it some time.

Agreed with Sluggo - Definitely should clear when cured - give it a solid 24 hours or so.  Been through this a few times too, it is heart stopping to get to THIS stage and have something go south.  

I looked at my canopy last night and somehow some bits I hadn't seen got under the coat.  An ammonia bath took the future off and after a cleaning, a re-dip fixed it all.  

FWIW : I'm on my third set of checkers for the nose of my P-51D.  Third time is the charm, right?

Thanks for the uplifting words. I was starting to think I really messed up at the last minute. Here's what she looks like now:

IMG_20150612_210715_284_zpsklvdra9j.jpg

IMG_20150612_210801_502_zpsrzvamwnk.jpg

I guess I won't be giving her a coat of future on the bottom tomorrow after I wake up in the afternoon now most likely, just to be on the safe side. I'll probably do the bottom later in the week.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Brady