HK B-17G on a stick

Pete Fleischmann

Hello all-

I started my HK B-17G as a sanity break from my 1/16th scale AT-38B..I've got two HUGE models on the bench right now...maybe the B-17 wasn't the best choice for a "sanity break"? Anyhoo-

This B-17 will be an in-flight display; mounted on a stick with a full crew.

I think the props need to spin. Some guys will disagree with me, but I think the only way to make props look like they are turning is to actually make them turn. So, I'll have three of the four engines running...number 2 will be shut-down and the prop feathered.

I'm using pager motors to spin the props.

SDC13266_zps7601019c.jpg

They fit neatly into the back section of the crankcase

SDC13267_zpsc2d48563.jpg

The mounting shaft for the props were removed and a hole drilled for the motor spindle

SDC13265_zpsec448643.jpg

Heat shrink tubing around the motor gave me a nice snug fit in the crankcases

SDC13268_zps844261dc.jpg

The prop bosses were modified to accept the small diameter pager spindle, which will have a slightly larger diameter (and longer) stainless shaft

SDC13287_zpsef8b84fa.jpg

..And I couldn't resist doing some detail work on the engines..Much more to do here, but coming along- All of this is just dry fit for now..

SDC13282_zpsca3793cf.jpg

SDC13284_zpsb98857a7.jpg

SDC13283_zps6748c095.jpg

The pager motors run with a pretty high-pitched squeal. I've got Gary from VoodooFX making me a sound board of B-17 engine noise that should drown out the pagers...

More to follow-

Cheers

Pete

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Hello all-

This B-17 will be an in-flight display; mounted on a stick with a full crew.

I think the props need to spin. Some guys will disagree with me, but I think the only way to make props look like they are turning is to actually make them turn. So, I'll have three of the four engines running...number 2 will be shut-down and the prop feathered.

More to follow-

Cheers

Pete

I'm curious; Will the #2 engine simulate being shut down to safe fuel or because of engine trouble?

And BTW; The idea with the #2 engine will definitely add charisma and depth to your build B) !

I'm curious; Will the #2 engine simulate being shut down to safe fuel or because of engine trouble?

And BTW; The idea with the #2 engine will definitely add charisma and depth to your build B) !

I'm thinking engine trouble of the 57mm variety :)

and some nasty oil staining to go with it!

Cheers

Pete

Cheers

Pete

Ah; O.K.!

Your comment brings up another question:

Have you got as far in your plans as to what kind of engine trouble? For example; Tell-tale sign(s) of either bullet holes in the cowling or flak damage to the nacelle (Kind of like how Shep Paine does).

Ohhh... now you're talking!  Can't wait to see more of this one Pete.  BTW, is Gary at VoodooFX someone the rest of us can contact for sound boards?  Might need one for a current idea I have...

This looks really awesome and really nice scratch detailing.

Two questions.

Those igniction attachments, what are they made out of? (yellow ones) they look perfect.

And second question, where do you get those brass nuts from?

/Mal

Ohhh... now you're talking!  Can't wait to see more of this one Pete.  BTW, is Gary at VoodooFX someone the rest of us can contact for sound boards?  Might need one for a current idea I have...

Absolutely-

Gary did the LED afterburner for my F-16 aggressor for FSM a while back. He makes all kinds of animation for modeling- just Google VoodooFx and you'll find him.

Cheers

Pete