488 RAF (NZ) Sqn, Brewster Buffalo

Allok

I love the model realy need to start myn and your work on the cockpit is great.

Groeten johan

Thanks Groeten.

I guess you will have to wait till you've finished that fantastic Ju 88 build that you are in the middle of. It's a nice kit, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

With most of the fit/seam/puttying issues now dealt with, I am finally ready for exterior painting.

In a sort of last minute descision, I decided to give the elevators a bit of sag. This was, of course, after I had attached them... for the second time (fit issues :angry: ). This time the tail planes fell off just as easily as they did the first time and the tail cone fell of as well. This kit is made from quite soft plastic so I was able to remove the elevators, reposition them and re-attach everything with relative ease.

I am going to try a four colour scheme; Green & Brown, "B" style camo upper surfaces with a Sky & Black underside. I've got some reasonably accurate Roundels, some decals for the reg and the Sky band/codes will be hand painted (masked and sprayed)

Pictures106.jpg

Wish me luck.

I am going to try a four colour scheme; Green & Brown, "B" style camo upper surfaces with a Sky & Black underside. I've got some reasonably accurate Roundels, some decals for the reg and the Sky band/codes will be hand painted (masked and sprayed)

Wish me luck.

Keith the underside is not "RAF Sky" type S rather WWII US Equivalent ANA 610 Sky Type S -Grey

which is a Blue-Green-Grey colour.

Codes/fuselage band are RAF Sky Type S (Only 488 sqn had Sky Type S Codes)

Roudels on wings should be 40 inch (some what smaller than RAF regular Wing roundels)

Regards

Alan

Hey Keith, do you want this moved over the the Failed Entries GB?

Kev

Thanks Kevin but there's no point. I'm not likely to get it done in time for that deadline either.

Anyway, I'm already (not) building a 190 in that GB. Now all I have to do is find something to (not) build in the "Rising Sun" GB...

:)

Keith the underside is not "RAF Sky" type S rather WWII US Equivalent ANA 610 Sky Type S -Grey

which is a Blue-Green-Grey colour.

Codes/fuselage band are RAF Sky Type S (Only 488 sqn had Sky Type S Codes)

Roudels on wings should be 40 inch (some what smaller than RAF regular Wing roundels)

Regards

Alan

Cheers Alan.

What do you think will be closest to the US Sky equivalent- Tamiya Light Blue or the Tamiya Sky colour? The Tamiya Sky looks a lot like "Duck Egg". Thought it might be good for the band and codes.

Hi Keith

Are you reffering to Tamiya 23 Light blue? That shoud for you

it's not perfect (it's supposed to be a green/blue colour) but better than nothing.

I managed to find an old tin of the Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue, I have used,

and looks great

Tamiya Sky should do OK for the Codes and bands (it's a green/grey colour)

Hope that helps you

Alan

Hi Keith

Are you reffering to Tamiya 23 Light blue? That shoud for you

it's not perfect (it's supposed to be a green/blue colour) but better than nothing.

I managed to find an old tin of the Humbrol 23 Duck Egg Blue, I have used,

and looks great

Tamiya Sky should do OK for the Codes and bands (it's a green/grey colour)

Hope that helps you

Alan

Yep, that is pretty much what I was thinking.

Do you know for sure what colour the main gear legs are?

Hi Keith

The main gear would be the same as the underside.

Some people have done theirs in greys/aluminum etc but a photo

in the Book, Buffalo in Action pg 29 you can see both gear legs

the Starboard (rgt) is the same colour as lower paint, and Port (lft)

is a dark colour (being Black on that side).

That's how I will have mine painted.

Failing that the RAF modus operendii at that time was to paint

gear doors/wheel well the underside color (gear oleo's were exceptions eg Spitfire etc).

If you click on this link and go down to the sixth photo you can get

a good view of the Port leg , it's painted Black (albiet some what weathered)

http://www.thescale.info/news/publish/67-S...-Buffalos.shtml

Hope that helps

Alan

Thanks Kevin but there's no point. I'm not likely to get it done in time for that deadline either.

Anyway, I'm already (not) building a 190 in that GB. Now all I have to do is find something to (not) build in the "Rising Sun" GB...

:)

Fair enough mate. What about just popping into the Member Builds forum? I only mention it because this GB has been sidelined now and I thought it'd be better off somewhere 'current'.

Kev

Fair enough mate. What about just popping into the Member Builds forum? I only mention it because this GB has been sidelined now and I thought it'd be better off somewhere 'current'.

Kev

OH NO! Not back in the Members builds forums! I'll feel like I've just been dumped by my Girlfriend!!! :P

Seriously though, Kev, there's no need. It still pops up whenever I post something and anyone hits the "posts since last visit" button.

Either way, I'll have finished it in only a few days/months/years and then we can forget all about it and move on to something more current, like an Fw 190 bomber.

Time for another beer,

Keith.

:P

You and me both, Keith! :rolleyes: