RN's new carrier

Lancman

I have nothing on the subject. The subject reminds me of something Geoffrey Page said in his book...

Anyway.

Some people may find this 2 part lecture interesting. I was surprised to see it had about 20 hits when I watched it.

Does anyone know what roles the ship has been designed for?

I can't imagine it'd be exclusively the typical carrier role.

Is there some task that necessitates two islands being a more efficient design?

Cheers Matty

BREXIT will not remove the UK from Europe, it just removes the UK from the EU. There is an enormous difference.

Norway & Switzerland stand outside the EU, but they trade quite happily and are European. It'll be the same with the UK.

you really want the status of Norway?

uh - oh, lets please not go there.

.. BREXIT will not remove the UK from Europe, it just removes the UK from the EU. There is an enormous difference.

Norway & Switzerland stand outside the EU, but they trade quite happily and are European. It'll be the same with the UK.

I will try to phrase my answer without being offensive, Dean, as it is not my intention, towards ANY member here ...

Europe is a geographical entity, ranging from the Western shores of Ireland to the Ural, from the Gibraltar rock to Cape North.

Nothing to do with what the European Union project stands for ... but then, the UK always seemed to embrace only the economic benefits of a single market, not the political project. As a UK citizen, your point of view is probably justifiable ...

Hubert

Does anyone know what roles the ship has been designed for?

I can't imagine it'd be exclusively the typical carrier role.

Is there some task that necessitates two islands being a more efficient design?

Cheers Matty

Apparently, the twin island approach is ahead of the game and something the US Navy are looking into. The separation allows a greater efficiency for flying operations, allowing more aircraft flights and landings over a given time.

As for roles, it's been labelled as doing pretty much everything. There's been talk of loading it with 36 F-35's for full-on attack capability, to 12 Chinooks for disaster relief, to Apache attack helicopters for close support work. There's even been talk of buying some V-22 Ospreys, which makes sense with the lack of CATOBAR capability.  It depends upon the mission I suppose.

Interesting times ahead. I'd not be surprised if, at some point in the future, they are refitted for CATOBAR aircraft. 

I will try to phrase my answer without being offensive, Dean, as it is not my intention, towards ANY member here ...

Europe is a geographical entity, ranging from the Western shores of Ireland to the Ural, from the Gibraltar rock to Cape North.

Nothing to do with what the European Union project stands for ... but then, the UK always seemed to embrace only the economic benefits of a single market, not the political project. As a UK citizen, your point of view is probably justifiable ...

Hubert

Without meaning to get political, the single market is a great idea. But it's the associated things that I think people were not too keen on - the inability to control immigration, the fact the EU Courts were superior to UK Courts meant we are unable to make our own laws (which is undemocratic), the inability to control all our own tax rates, the inability to financially support UK companies, the inability to negotiate trade deals, the fact that the UK is one of only two countries that trade more with the rest of the world than it does with Europe, the fact that we send £8,500,000,000 to the EU every year, the fact that we have a massive trade deficit with the EU, the feeling that the enormous EU bureaucracy was stunting economic growth and trumping UK democracy, the fact that the UK was unable to vote out EU politicians it disagreed with, the ability to control our own fishing areas - you may not agree with all the reasons, but it's a reasonable enough argument.

the ability to control our own fishing areas

In a way  I see both sides, when the EU came about and fishing permits were announced, a lot of UK fishermen seeing a quick buck got out of the fishing game and sold their permits to the likes of the Spanish fleet owners, thus everyone was complaining about lack of UK fishermen in a sea full off Spanish boats around the UK, when in reality all they had done was legally buy up the quotas from those that wanted a fast buck and out of the game.

Edited by TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the twin island approach is ahead of the game and something the US Navy are looking into. The separation allows a greater efficiency for flying operations, allowing more aircraft flights and landings over a given time.

The two islands are necessary in large part by the conventional power plant - air in, exhaust out, in simple terms. Separate islands provides redundancy, while maximising deck space. Otherwise, a huge, inefficient, island like what was on the Invincible class would be necessary.

Looking at the Gerald Ford design, it looks like the US Navy are going hard in the opposite direction. Apart from not needing to satisfy the needs of a conventional power plant, the small island increases an already large flight deck area (further enlarged by the de

Etion of one of the aircraft elevators). Do you have any links about US Navt interest in the design?

Geographically separating flight and navigation control seems to me (& some navy types I know) to be counter intuitive to efficient operations, especially when there's an existing cultural divide between the surface warfare guys and the aviators. And that's before you add different services into the mix!