Arado E-377, Cammett kit - He-162 in progress

dutik

Breaking news!

Hired Prof. Dr. Jones jr. to hunt a lost treasure, and he was able to locate and bring home this one:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=26170&hl=%2Bheinkel+%2B162

So the Arado will get its proper guidance plane on top within this GB :thumbsup:

I will just cut off the front leg (closed uc doors) and preserve the superdetailled internal fuselage bits for another build. Will build the canopy closed to avoid "battle damage" during transports. Also add a special modification to the tail :rolleyes:

Oh, yes. "Indy" survived the search. You know, the natives, the dust of the vaults, breaking ceilings, one trap or another... The doctor says he will be ok again within a few weeks :whistle:

Regards!

- dutik

Started to paint the cockpit of the He-162:

cammett0007e6ud1.jpg

Some more paint needed, followed by some decal placards. I am going with some bright paints to enhance visibility because the canopy will be closed.

- dutik

Very nice!

I agree with that philosophy Dutik..................if the canopy is closed, I have always been advised by some of the best modelers I know, that its a good idea to possibly go with colors that in scale, might be brighter than the real thing.

Some colors in scale, just don't translate as well, but I too like going a bit more colorful to grab the attention of the viewer. I also have never been that picky about using the exact color as was used in the 1:1.

Great work so far

Got jammed as expected due to work and family related reasons. Not a biggie.

My schedule is to get it ready at the end of March. Have marked some spare days within the next weeks to make progress.

Regards

- dutik

• 1 month later...

Did some fitting, sanding and painting at the jet intakes and engine faces. Tried to glue the parts on and the elevators as well, but managed do break off the top of the superglue bottle.

Not a biggie, a modeller has always some more glue bottles at hand. Wartime reserves. Yep. The supergel stock had turned into some kind of rubber, the superliquid stock into the sand of time :deadhorse:

Put in total 5 bottles of superglue into the dustbin... :crying:

And no way to get fresh glue at the weekend :(

Regards

- dutik

Glued the elevators in place:

cammett0011uek9h.jpg

Did a lot of dryfitting to get the best solution which elevator (both are identical) to glue left and right. There are some differnces of the thickness at the base at the fin. Fixed this with some sanding. But if you watch close you might detect another nasty surprise: the elevater parts are of different thickness, and one has also different thicknesses of its own.

I am on the way to fix this. My plan is to sand down the left one in total and to reduce the thickness of the right one at the outer part.

Sanding, polishing, checking, and again. Hope to get it done without breaking off the elevators.

Keep rolling!

- dutik

Elevators sanded, filled and polished again (and again :rolleyes: ). Jet intakes glued in place. Will check all parts tomorrow in daylight, if ok wash and prime to check again. Guess I have to iron out some more scratches and flaws until ready for painting.

Regards

- dutik

Yepp :)

Image:

cammett0013iks8s.jpg

Elevators are much better now. Intakes are on. Well, the engine faces were not the best fit - there is a step between intake duct and engine face. The overall fit of the intakes was ok. Had do carve away the fitting pins and some resin at the inner face/contact surface of intake and engine nacelle. Also some minor sanding at the outside to level some small misalignments.

Next steps: Fill in some Gunze liquid surfacer to reduce the seams. Rescribe lost rivets and paneel lines. Clean it and apply coat of primer to check for blemishes.

Regards

- dutik

Sanded and polished the parts sometimes more. Filled joint lines and to deep paneel lines with Gunze liquid putty to make them less deep. Still working to remove putty residues with nail varnish remover (contains acetone). Also recieved the wooden base today. A large base, indeed:

cammett0015husff.jpg

40 cm long. This is 16 inches for our friends across the pond :) and is still an inch to short.

cammett0017owsx6.jpg

What's your opinion about the base: Should I add grass and tarmac or use the wooden base as it is? :hmmm:

Also got this:

cammett0018lysqg.jpg

These are two large decal sheets in a set. One with new, bright woodgrain, the other with old, bleached woodgrain. To be used for parts of the Mistel bomb :rolleyes:

Next stop:

Some more putty needs to be removed. Want to give it a coat of primer the next week (out at a modelling meeting at the weekend). Mayby painting during Easter weekend?

Enjoy!

- dutik