P 51B, or rather RAF Mustang III : FINISHED

Ian A

I'll have a go, I guess, since others are going OOB, and I won't have to humiliate myself with my scratch building skills.

I was thinking of Kidd Hoffer's Salem representative, but given the rivet acne I'll stick away from bare metal finishes, and do that other doomed "Kid"'s bird, "Dzuibek" Horbaczewski's of 315 squadron. Already got the Techmod decals.

Did the dry fitting last night-it'll be a challenge!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian.

Same thing happened with my Corsair, would pay to check the width of the fuse before you try to fill up the gaps. Mine's being pushed out with a chunk of plastic.

And then again...

Hi Ian,

Looks like it's coming along, Looking forward to seeing some more pics!

In reference to your issue on the fuse width & gap on at the wing root - I noticed in your pic that your cockpit wasn't in.

The cockpit should close the gap up to a much more acceptable size, at least it did on my last P51B build & it looks pretty close on 'Ina' also. I don't think it's going to be that bad for you.

This pic shows the wingroot of my 'crashed' Beeson build from 1999 or so - it has very little gaps. I built this one OOB & as I look at it today - it's horrible!!, but it illustrates my point anyway.

Don't be concerned over other peoples standards for your build - just have fun!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168403893.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement mate. The great thing about the group build for me is actually getting a model finished! I've started several since getting back into the hobby, but I'm never satisfied with the work and never finish. Still, these old Revell kits hold a special place in my memories, as they so obviously do for others, I'm really enjoying seeing how others are advancing in their builds, and I'm learning. I just wish I had more time to model. Anyway, it's coming on. Thanks again.

I've started several since getting back into the hobby, but I'm never satisfied with the work and never finish. Still, these old Revell kits hold a special place in my memories, as they so obviously do for others, I'm really enjoying seeing how others are advancing in their builds, and I'm learning. I just wish I had more time to model.

Hiya Ian,

We can all relate to those comments!

Have to admit - one of the reasons I decided to join the Group Build was to encourage me to *actually* finish something!! :blink: B)

Iain

• 1 month later...

First post in a while, partially due to work pressure,partially due to looking after a house guest, and partially due to my rash decision to cut out the flaps and to sand and rescribe. Which is to say a lot of elbow grease and foul language has gone on with little discernable result. Still, the deadline draws nigh , and I started the group build to a) learn, <_< have at least one fully finished model!post-2259-1171259802.jpg post-2259-1171259874.jpg

Adrian inspired me to try something new with brass tube and a mini tube cutter.

The guns and blast tubes are probably standing a little proud, but I'm satisfied. The Tamiya 1/48 Mustang III provided a scribing pattern.post-2259-1171260159.jpgpost-2259-1171260190.jpg

Sorry about the woeful photography!

I've been experimenting with the famous blue backdrop but need to get the lighting right, I think.

The seat belts, which you can't really see properly, are the only bit of aftermarket.post-2259-1171262408.jpgpost-2259-1171262461.jpg