Tamiya Birdcage Corsair

Durangokid

While I'm waiting for my Maketar masks to arrive I thought I would share some of my progress with the fellas.  There are some incredible examples on the forum that I have been following to guide me along the way.  I've pretty much got my corsair built up and ready for paint but I took some pics along the way. 

I used MRP paint for the cockpit.  I started with my own mix but ended up striping it all off since it just didn't look right.  I really like the way the MRP dark dull green looks and it sprays incredibly well.  I didn't think I would ever find a paint I like as much as much or better than MR. Color.  I lightened and darkened the base color for chipping and used some silver paint too.  I used a sponge to apply the chips but I think I should have done the effect a little heavier since I could hardly see it in the end.  I used Mig and a mix of Abteilung oils along with a final touch of Mig dust to highlight everything. I used Barracuda placards for the pit which are a pain but look fantastic.  I also used RB Production seatbelts which I'm not totally sold on.  I would have rather used some of the other aftermarket belts but being on a budget, I went for the less expensive RB belts.

fC6hRm.jpg

e6qJ5u.jpg

Nlb4lU.jpg

nGW8Sn.jpg

xDKxmp.jpg

dloqeX.jpg

jNfmJL.jpg

U6kgdT.jpg

uTbPWa.jpg

3iaUGM.jpg

I forgot to mention that I drybrushed MR Metal Color chrome silver on the seat and pedals.  I really like this for a bare metal affect although I might have over done it a bit on the seat.

I have to say that I am totally enjoying this build, this is a fantastic kit as a lot of you already know. 

I'll post some more pics in a bit... Thanks for looking!!!

I started using Maskol on my glue attachment points and it has really helped me with the building process.  It can be a bit time consuming but it really helps getting the parts glued properly.  I find myself using it a lot lately.

I bought the Barracuda engine update set along with their wheels, it's really nice stuff for sure.  I painted the cylinders Alclad Aluminum and then masked them to paint the rest of the engine.  

yGn8UJ.jpg

Unfortunately, when I was using some oils for weathering I accidentally added pigment fixer to mix instead of mineral spirits.  It kinda stained the cylinders but it wasn't bad enough to make me start all over.  I wasn't really looking for that effect but it came out okay I guess...

PwWhjF.jpg

EwZP39.jpg

o6CTsp.jpg

I painted the exhaust with MRP exhaust metal color and the brushed them with a mix of Vallejo Broum Iron Oxide, Natural Iron Oxide and pigment fixer.  After it dries a bit I removed the excess with a clean brush.  Then I mixed up the Natural Iron Oxide, which is very black, with pigment fixer and flicked in on with an old brush.  Hope that makes sense...

BpODVI.jpg

XbFprL.jpg

KmI9Ki.jpg

Thanks guys!

Jim- I used a sponge and silver paint for the chipping then I dry brushed it with MR Metal Chrome Silver

Cool - what kind of silver paint? I tend to use Tamiya acrylic but I've never been able to achieve such a subtle effect.

Jim

Holy smokes!  That is some great interior detailing!  Not just great, but clean.  I find it so hard to raise detail without it looking "fuzzy" in close up shots like yours.

Bravo!

Gaz

Here is my attempt to detail the engine flaps.  I hardly ever scratch build so it didn't come out all that great.  At least it looks better than nothing and you can't really see it much..

First I thinned the edges:

KMKmTc.jpg

Then I made these plates out of thin styrene sheet.  They have small ribs on the real deal but that is beyond my abilities.  I drilled out a section and added a styrene disk.

632iX9.jpg

2hkAq8.jpg

I drilled little holes and added .2mm lead wire. 

mj27Ek.jpg

HAdooy.jpg

Up until now everything was fairly easy and straight forward, until I got to this part that is.  Sorry I didn't take pictures along the way but this is what I ended up with after two days of total frustration.  I made the little parts by cutting them out of .005" styrene sheet.  I glued two of these tiny washers together to make the wheels where the wire runs around.  I don't know if you can see it in the photos but the washers are smaller on one side so when they are glued together it makes a perfect groove for the wire. The washers are from Alliance Modelworks.

Gr0M3P.jpg

59JDBF.jpg

When that was done, I added this bolt (from Alliance Modelworks) onto the front.

xEOAaw.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo fellas.  This is what it looked like when I was done.

JxxMgZ.jpg

I have to give credit to Derek B from Britmodeller.  I followed his thread on how to build this part from scratch.  His example is way better than mine obviously but it was a big help to get mine done.  I just wish I could scratch build like him!

In the end, I don't think it was worth all the frustration to scratch build this part.  I was trying to save money but next time I think I will just by the Vector resin part...

Guest Peterpools

WOW ... awesome work and thoroughly enjoying following your progress. The front office and The Big P&W look brilliant and the cowl flap mechanism - geez - knocks me out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter