Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Geezzzz Spars, where did this come from ? Just plane missed it. :doh: She looks great ! love the engins, hell I like everything.....Harv :popcorn:

Oh I remember where it came from! It was a gift. This and the P51-D that I will make a red tails bird out of - but this particular bird will be grey green! Thanks for stopping by! :D

Sparz.....youve shure kicked that bar several notches....and it shure looks mighty sweet.

/Mal

Kiitos MalGyver. I'm glad you think so. I do my best within my own limits to make it look alright!

Yep, have to agree with that. Even your photography is improving Sparz!

Kev

Thanks! :D Hah, well... I have recently found the "white balance" setting on the phone, which helps a lot... at least with the colours. The snappysnappy button still has to work fully though in order for the picture to be crisp, and the phone is so old that it's no guarantee anymore. So far, with this build, I have been lucky.

Good show, Bro!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark! The world needs more RCAF 'stangs!

Looks great !

Keep it up  ;)

Thanks Loic!

Now let's see if I can make that AM tailwheel look remotely like one, or if I should just bin it...

I will bin the GM tailwheel. I just can't get it to look like a wheel anymore.

Also, should I sand away all of the rivets on the Mustang? It's not like it has a plethora of surface detail, but if it's accurate I'll get to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the fuselage's been closed up... the surgery went a lot smoother than I expected. I have filled all the gaps (not as many as I first thought), the biggest problem was the fuselage halves not lining up properly around the rearwheel bay, air intakes and whatnot. I did my best to remedy this with stretched sprue.

DSC00125_zpsgbr2rlgx.jpg

DSC00121_zpsdxoeymhs.jpg

DSC00122_zpstfmlhojb.jpg

I am currently in the process of sanding all the rivets off the fuselage - well most of them - I made this decision after studying numerous reference pictures. I am also struggling a bit with the windshield - it just won't sit right. I had it glued on for a while; tilting it forward made it line up nicely in the front but left gaps in the back that I filled with Micro Kristal Klear. However, I realised that no amount of paint will hide that sloppy work, so off it went and I took the opportunity to sand off the crack in the side that appeared when cutting it off the sprue. Gradually sanding with finer and finer paper and finally giving it a round with the buff stick still left the windshield looking a bit milky though, so I will give it a bath of Future later on. The crack that I sanded off is visible on this picture, right hand side, bottom ... quite evident.

DSC00127_zpsbikzrng9.jpg

But hey, the engine framing is all seamless and beautiful:

DSC00126_zpsw1ypooum.jpg

And here's some progress with the bottom wings:

DSC00124_zpsmeiioi3u.jpg

Thanks Malgyver and Ripaman for your nice comments!

Indeed, she's quite big and awkward to handle during all this rivet sanding... but I think it will all be worth it in the end. My main problem is the windshield at the moment... we'll see what can be done.

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

terrific progress on your 'Stang. Mustang canopies that are engineered to attach that way, always seem to have fit issues that take a lot of work. Sure looks as if you have it under control. Engine framing looks spot on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Sparz

terrific progress on your 'Stang. Mustang canopies that are engineered to attach that way, always seem to have fit issues that take a lot of work. Sure looks as if you have it under control. Engine framing looks spot on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. I get the Mustang windscreen idiocy part, I just wish Airfix would have found a different solution for the attachment points. Like I don't know, Tamiya's 1/32. :lol:

I glued the wheel bay doors in place; had to scrape off some of that aluminium paint for the hinges to make them really bite with the Tamiya extra thin cement.

I will paint the hinges aluminium later on.

DSC00129_zpsiodpcmbv.jpg

I also took the opportunity to glue the odd looking intakes over the old ones. Don't know why, but the Mustang "Edmonton special" that I'm depicting had these intakes, so on they go.

DSC00133_zpshlgcnv0m.jpg

DSC00134_zps8apjufm8.jpg

DSC00135_zpsfvjlv1ke.jpg

Here's a little sneak peak of my rivet removal progress. I'll keep some of them on, but most of the fuselage will be smoother than a smoothie.

DSC00136_zpsgkvzqj9l.jpg

• 5 months later...

I think you can get by with the flap gap.  The others, not so much.  Just my view.  Keep on keepin' on, Bjorn, you're doing well.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark! Indeed, I just realized that flaps aren't seamless! I'm filling up the other holes as we speak. Pictures to come soon hopefully.

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Great to see the wings are joined to the fuselage. Airfix sure found new ways of sneaking in gaps and holes for the builder to fill. I'm with mark that the seam at the flaps are fine.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I have filled some of the gaps now with Tamiya white putty, and cleaned off excess with cottonbuds moistened with acetone. Still some gaps to fill, and the intake scoop thing underneath will require something more than just filling it seems....

DSC00140_zpshrtutnrt.jpg

DSC00141_zpshgdlxtam.jpg

DSC00142_zpshjxzhyya.jpg

DSC00143_zpsztvt8qns.jpg