Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Chuck,

I have a question: If I remember well you are using inexpensive micro drills for pins. Where do you buy them?

Thank you sir!

Most hobby shops carry small drill bits, but I generally buy mine from UMM-USA. John Vojtech, the owner of UMM, is a master modeller of the highest order and he personally gives terrific service to all orders. The drill bits can be found at the link below, but you really must check out his gallery of models, especially his F-15C. While his use of a dark wash can be argued to be overdone, nobody will ever build a better one.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_161

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Aim-9's look absolutely superb!

Glad you have decided to throw a decent ECM pod on there... which you of course finished masterfully.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Marcel! Yes, thankfully you talked me out of using the "Gecko" pod in favour of the ELTA one. I didn't really want anything hanging on the centerline anyway and in reference photos, the ELTA is almost always there on the intake.

I notice that you are using an ELTA pod on your Viper project, which I assume is the Wolfpack version. If it is, I recommend a small strip of styrene to hold the adapter away from the pod a bit at the front, because the gap should be there and it looks like there is something similar on the real deal. Decals are a struggle too due to thickness and some of the detail is wrong, like the spacing of vertical lines on the side of the pod, so the positioning of the yellow lift decals on the bottom is a bit of a guess. Hopefully most of this makes sense when you assemble yours.

Cheers,

Chuck

Yeah I am throwing one of those on my A, the NSAWC jets frequently fly with them. I think I have the Isracast rendition of the pod, not sure if that is different to the WP version or just a rebrand. Either way I will keep an eye open for that, although on the std F-16 pylon the adapter may be different.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck, could you tell me a little more about the "catcher mitt" part on the bottom of the canopy piece?  Is that a kit piece I didn't see?  Is it on the real thing?  And what/how did you re-create it?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

The "Catcher Mitt" has to be made from scratch.  I did not find this piece with the either resin cockpit set I used, nor the kit parts. so I fashioned something from sprue that looks fairly close.

Oct 22/17  Mini-Update:

I'm finally applying decals, but the process is very slow, partly because that's just how I like to proceed with this delicate stage and also because I spilled a bottle of Microsol on one of my Two Bob's decal sets I'm using and ruined half of them!  :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

Thankfully, the OOP Afterburner Aggressor Eagles decals are OK and I can order new Two Bob's ones (whew!), so I ordered the Reid Air Speed Hunter Graphics "Big Scale Eagles" set at the same time as a back-up, just in case!

Here's where I am now.  The Afterburner decals look pretty good, but the formation lights are too yellow and the stencil markings are a bit crude- hence the need for the Two Bobs set as replacements.  I'll give a full report on the application of these decals later when I'm done, because some of them can be very tricky.

QhxX6j.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Oct 22/17  Mini-Update:

I'm finally applying decals, but the process is very slow, partly because that's just how I like to proceed with this delicate stage and also because I spilled a bottle of Microsol on one of my Two Bob's decal sets I'm using and ruined half of them!  :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

Well everything is a learning experience right Chuck? I am sure you won't do that again. One of the reasons I have my decals away from where I am decalling and I also have my solutions a little away from my model. Yup split my Micro Sol years ago too. Thankfully no decals were harmed.

The decals so far look great too. Sure settled down nicely. Good job.

Edited by Skyhawk174