seamless intakes with the "latex" trick?

Jack

Came upon an article were the builder used latex paint in order to achieve a seamless air inlet inside, and have just been trying to find out how this was done, since i remembered someone using the same technique somewhere on LPS, but alas i couldn't find it.

Could someone point me in the right direction? it's appreciated.

TIA

Jack.

Edited by Jack

I did it with my Phantom intakes, but used One-Shot sign painter's paint instead of latex, it worked well.

Lee, i'm not familiar with the "one-shot sign painter's paint", what should i be looking for?

I have used this method a couple of times in smaller scale F-16's. I did read that emulsion/latex has a tendency to wrinkle and pull away after a while so I tried it with Gunze Sangyo Mr Base White using the same method, just swapping out the paint. Worked fine. Sealed with Future/Klear in the same method as painting it to get that intake sheen. Will try it again should I ever actually build the Tamiya F-16 thats in the stash. At the moment it just seems to be collecting after market in the same way my Trumpeter Avenger is.

You will have to "prepare" a little the intake if you want it 100% seemless, the paint doesn't do everything by itself ! :)

I did not used latex paint but standard wall paint.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=47075

I use this technique each time i have to paint an intake which is impossible to paint cleanly with the airbrush because it's too long or too curvy.

Hope this helps !

Edited by Zero77