Trumpeter SBD-2 Midway Survivor, Call her done!

dora9

Guest Peterpools

Andre

Awesome progress.. Your SBD looks spot on and just about ready for the primer.

Thanks for the tip on spreading the fuselage a bit for the wing fit as that's where I am at and then I'll work on an update.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Andre

Awesome progress.. Your SBD looks spot on and just about ready for the primer.

Thanks for the tip on spreading the fuselage a bit for the wing fit as that's where I am at and then I'll work on an update.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter

Some bit of cleaning here and there and she'll be ready for her first coat of paint!

Can't wait to see the mating of your wings to the fuse! Hope everything will go smoothly! I'm looking for a set of wheels, those in the kit are too narrow. Know any AM?

Cheers

So started putting color on the SBD. I was so caught in the process that I forgot to take some pics!

lgjzco6l.jpg

First some alclad alu, then hair spray, after some zinc chromate, hair spray and pre shading.

wRfoJQSh.jpg

Did the same for the belly plus final color.

AN4Cdk1h.jpg

Next step, the blue gray on top!

Stay tuned!

Edited by dora9

Very nice work on the paint. Looks good to see it getting near completion. I assume you're going for a multilayer chipping effect with metal and primer?

Thanks! Yes I am going for the multilayer effect. It's the first time that I'll be using this technique on a model, wish me luck!

So after a good scrubbing, this is what came out of it!

A992WaKh.jpg

tchg9Qkh.jpg

I think that the large patch on the right wing is a bit too much, but it will stay like that. Don't want to mess it up!

z6opDWZh.jpg

9a9iLsOh.jpg

Think I will leave it as is. With the weathering and wash, that should do the trick!

Stay tuned!

Thanks Harv! For a first try the result is not so bad! I like what I see and will try it again on another project!

Except that next time I won't use a strong hold type of hair spray because it's a bit too stiff and you really have to scrub hard. I'll go for a medium hold next time!