HK B-25 interior colour

BloorwestSiR

Hi folks,

I was looking at the instructions on the B-25 kit and it says that everything inside is interior green. Is that correct or is it like the B-17 where different sections are different colours?

Also, is it Zinc Chromate Green or something darker?

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

This is a tricky question and depends on the variant. According to a B-25J pilot I corresponded with the interior was all one color - green. This matches other references that say Interior Green throughout as well as the inside of a B-25J that I was fortunate enough to crawl around inside of where I could see some of the original paint. However, B-25H models may have been different and B/C/D models were probably dull dark green and yellow zinc chromate.

Bombay's were likely natural metal across most models including the H & J.

A final note, interior green is a darkish color not the bright light green that Model Master has in their line. Xtracrilix and Mission Models make good interior greens.

Per the Maintenance manual, the cockpit was Dull Dark Green while the rest of the interior was tinted Chromate (they refer to it as Yellow-Green). You can take the Yellow Chromate from Testors and tint it with a little black until you get an olive color. And as previously mentioned, the bomb bay was unpainted. Here is a photo of the waist of an unrestored B-25. The chromate bits are from where the structure for the life raft was removed.

C5ue7Fo.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures of unrestored interior bits. There are variations that can be caused by the way the paint was mixed as well as the age and environmental factors. The main thing is it is not the bright interior green that is often found in models:

r0cXBK2.jpg

XHWNJFM.jpg

MY8Yt9P.jpg

udFlU4W.jpg

Edited by Karl H

• 4 years later...