Roden Fokker DR I Green Red Baron

CANicoll

Built this for one of our club members who supplied the pilot figure you see in the pictures.  My first Roden kit, and only my fourth WWI kit.  The idea was to build a dirty, worn aircraft, so I've added some mud and some battle damage and overall wear.

This is the Roden kit, out of the box with Eagle Cal markings for the most part, Vallejo Model Air acrylics over the White primer.  The green/olive was done with acrylic water colors, olive green and titanium white and a tiny spot of burnt umber.  The engine was done with the Vallejo metallic acrylics and black and brown washes.  

Propeller is vallejo wood applied over a coarse scratched propeller to simulate the wood grain, followed by a wash of burnt umber that was allowed to sit for a minute, then wiped off with dry paper towel.  That left just a little bit of the dark color in the grooves from the coarse sanding.

DSC_0047_zpswsy9cgml.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsm0mptxxs.jpg

My approximation of some battle damage:

DSC_0051_zps22smnjce.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsuwgwptx8.jpg

DSC_0054_zpsd45otbvi.jpg

DSC_0057_zpsuvoat8ng.jpg

Fun build and always like to show a dirty and worn aircraft.  I need to get much better about doing the rigging, EZ line in this case but I need to find a way to attach it in a much neater fashion.

Thanks!

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

One terrific build. Not an easy kit and so very well done and the weathering is right up my alley: used but not abused.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

LOL Bill!  It really is not a bad kit at all - requires just enough tweaking here and there to make you feel like you did something more than slap on a bunch of glue and paint.  And has the bones of a really nice kit if you work it.  I'd love to see what you do with it!  Chris