IMCTH P51 Build Log

Jking207

Hi Joel, I am probabably not going to do anything after looking at them.  As my Grandpa used to say: "good enough for government work."  He grew up during in the Great Depression and am guessing a reference to FDR's WPA program.  Should have asked.

I test fitted the outer lattice and it looks to line up with everything.  Wing is finally close to completion.  :blink:

20170618_152312.jpg

Edited by Jking207

The wings are joined by two pieces each with 4 tabs that connect the wings.  I had glued them in enough so they wouldn't pop out, but there was a lot of play in the wings.  I wanted to test fit the outer skin before I made the final bound and set the dihedral.  There is also a lot of weight with the fuel tanks then there will be rest of the kit on top of that.  Crappy picture, but removed the fuel tanks and put JB Weld (metal epoxy)  on both spars, between the center formers, pretty much what everywhere that couldn't be seen.

20170622_004733.jpg

This shows along the back spar and at center rear on the connection piece tabs.  The front spar was done in a similar fashion. 

Edited by Jking207

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning the fuselage with the first bulkhead filled with the fuel tank, radio, and battery.  Got Eduard Tamiya Interior set and the 12 piece battery parts fit fine.  Also, from the Eduard kit the cap for the fuel neck and dial face for the fuel level (?).  Still need to do some painting, wiring, and clean up, but built up without any issues.  Starting to covert the page away from Photobucket.

20170702_230049.jpg

Edited by Jking207

• 3 weeks later...

Floor build out with the formers.  I am finding the fuselage is more challenging than wing to build.  Plus dropping it on the floor and loosing the antenna outside during a quick spray of primer has hindered some progress.  

20170708_023352.jpg

20170718_234902.jpg

The two frame sides fitted to the floor.  Tricky to assemble at first, but once fitted and a few points glued it was easier to manage.

The start of the fuselage really looks exceptional. I'll be the 1st one to join both Brian & Ernie that even attempting this kit would surely drive me to bang my head against the closet wall. 

Joel

Thanks guys, most of my pain has been self inflicted.  This is the back 40 of the fuselage.  I know the bottom tanks are oxygen, but I don't know what the larger tanks are for.  Has some white metal pieces with an aluminum rod on the back bulkhead.  Dropped a wire from the antenna to what I assume is an amp or radio gear.

20170723_175031.jpg

Edited by Jking207

Great progress, the rest of the fuse is pretty straight forward from here.

I've gotten as far as the engine bearers and have really struggled with a couple of points, your build makes me want to pick it up again!

Looking forward to your next update.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to drop by and see how you are going.

I have picked up my IMCTH kit again, thanks, in no small part to watching your progress!

One step to be careful with is the engine mounts, I have spent an excessive amount of time on them!

What I have found is that CA is not a good choice of glue, the PE plates that are glued to the sides of the white metal parts have kept breaking off. The CA is just too brittle, in the end I have used 30 minute epoxy and fitted them to the firewall / rest of the fuselage. This step is proving to be the most difficult one by far for me.

I will post an update to my thread once the engine mounts have been painted and the engine installed, I hope ot have this done by the end of the weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I took a little bit of a break, but thanks for the heads up on the engine mount.  

it wouldn't have been on my radar as a problem area.  On vacation this week and hope to get back on track.

20170912_022337.jpg

Small update:  Working on the cockpit sides.  Still need some more painting, maybe on decals and wires.

Really beautiful work!

I've been away for a bit, so I'm just now catching up with your build. Your work looks pretty flawless to me and I'm definitely going to be following your build closely.

It's so great to see another modeler giving these IMCTH kits a try; they are well worth the effort in that they look so impressive when they are done.

Best of luck as you proceed. If you have any questions, I will be happy to field them. Chris's build log is another great resource to use. On the other hand, you look like you are doing a great job all by yourself.

Looking forward to more!

John