Hobbycraft Camel (Le Rhone)

LSP_K2

I just noticed that the kit database is missing the Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel (Le Rhone), box cover photo, kit number is HC1693. If you have this kit, can you please take a nice, head on photo for the database?

As is typical, we prefer that the photo is not just snatched from the web, but rather is taken by a site member or guest. This thread gives particulars as to what we seek in the way of photos.

No, it is a completely new kit, and a very good one too. The Le Rhone and Bentley kits are definitely worth tracking down. The original Academy kit is good for practicing rigging on, but the new ones are MUCH better....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Glad the boxart is in! Now, to go a little sideways: There were originally a boxing of the Academy kit that was essentially a scaled-down version of the 1/28 Revell kit, which was characterised by heavy wing ribs, and an inaccurate cockpit. The second boxing was a retooled version with much better wings, and cockpit-IIRC, the "Clerget Camel".  Tim says there is a new tooled kit, different from the original two. Can we get some sprue shots, or an explanation of the different kit parts.

Sorry, not Bentley, the kits were/are a Clerget version and a Le Rhone version. I have one in the stash, and I noticed in the Pocketbond website that they are due to be rereleased. Codes are Hc 1963 and HC 1964. I'll dig it out and photograph it. I am sure I recall a comparison between the much older Academy kit, and how much better the new ones were compared to the older one. They are NOT the same kits!

Tim

Yep, according to our data, the Academy kit is a re-boxed Hobbycraft early kit, whereas the Le Rhone and Clerget Camels from Hobbycraft, are completely revised versions of the early Hobbycraft kit.

The news that they will be re-released is quite good news indeed. (I have one of the two (Clerget, I believe), but am not 100% sure, as it's boxed away in a storage facility right now.) I have the beautimous Part P.E. set that's just dying to be used.

No, it is a completely new kit, and a very good one too. The Le Rhone and Bentley kits are definitely worth tracking down. The original Academy kit is good for practicing rigging on, but the new ones are MUCH better....

Tim

Okay, let's keep this sorted out! I had initially been quite excited seeing a "new" release in 1/32. After looking into what the mystery plastic could be inside, found shots of the kit here;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Model-Kit-British-Biplane-Fighter-Aircraft-SOPWITH-CAMEL-F1-1-32-Limited-/161465460050?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2598176552

As you see by the wing ribs, the horse hoof tailskid, it is still Academy original plastic. 

Now, unless you have both the old Hobbycraft (Academy), and the retooled Hobbycraft of either the "LeRhone" or "Clerget" issue, and now this New Academy with you to verify, I am going by the photos and calling it the original.

Granted, it does have new markings and states Photo etch.

Anyone verify with plastic pics. of what is in the box?  Thanks!

Thanks Tim, that review is useful. I have kit 1694 "Clerget Aces", and pulled it off the shelf for a quick comparison. This is the original "retooled' camel, which differed substantially from the first release; most noticeably in the wing ribs, and basic cockpit structure. To repeat: the first release Camel is considered by many to be simply a scaled down 1/28 Revell kit from around 1965. Thus, the evident care with which this iconic airplane was retooled was a happy surprise when released. I have compared the sprue shots from the link above to my kit, which is the kit discussed in the review. It is important to understand that the OLD kit discussed is the Le Rhone Camel, and not the Clerget engine Camel; the latest release Camel is after sprue comparison, the same as kit 1694 Clerget Aces. In short, the good kit.

With that in mind, when one is out and about, and sees a Camel kit for cheap, an easy way to determine which kit you are looking at, is to check the wings. If the wing ribs come to a peak, or are triangular in shape, and about 1-1.5 mm tall, you have the original  tool Camel kit. The re-tooled kit has flat profile wing ribs/tapes, which are very much more restrained.

I hope this helps.