Split Personality Sukhoi

scvrobeson

Hey all. This is going to be my next project, a detailed build of the Trumpeter Su-27 UB Flanker C.

untitled.jpg

I'm going to upgrade the build with the Aires wheel wells, and possibly the Eduard zoom set, haven't decided on that yet. What I'm going to be doing with this build is really focusing on the outside, and doing something a bit un-orthodox.

What I have planned is to do the plane in a split color scheme, straight down the middle. The left half of the plane will be in the famous Ukranian splinter scheme, using the Linden Hill Decal set, and the right half will be in the Russian Knights airshow team, with markings put together from somewhere.

So far, all that's been done is the cockpit and seats have been hit with base colors, and pictures should follow shortly. I'm actually in the process of building my own photo booth, so I'll wait until that's done to post more pictures. THank you, and I hope you all enjoy this build.

Matt

Edited by scvrobeson

Hi there everyone. It's time for my first updates on this one, now that my photo booth is all set up. Went for a bigger one, it's now 2'x3'x2', so it's big enough to fit the fully built Flanker in. :speak_cool:

Anyway, here's the first paint on the cockpit, the base paint is Model Master enamel RLM 76, which is a pretty close match to the Soviet blue-grey. Weathering was sprayed on using lightened and darkened paint, then all of the detail was added in using both Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics. A simple drybrush was done over the top, but there's still more weathering to be done, I think an oil wash, some chipping, and maybe a couple more colors will be added if I can find pictures. Hope everyone's enjoying the build so far

Su-27UB010.jpg

Su-27UB013.jpg

Here's a couple more pictures of the cockpit. I know most of the color isn't there on the real plane, pretty much all of the switches are black, but I felt a little color was needed in there just to break up the monotony.

Su-27UB011.jpg

Su-27UB012.jpg

Su-27UB014.jpg

The color on the ejector seats are just base colors right now, Model Master interior black for the base, then Vallejo black grey and light grey for the cushions. Still much more to do on these to make them look more realistic.

( in my best "laugh in voice") Verry interestinc.......Will defently fallow....Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv. I'm actually really excited about this build. The Flanker is one of those planes that's always appealed to me, and I got this kit 50% off, so couldn't pass it up. The idea for the color scheme pretty much came from me not being able to decide on one. I liked the Ukranian splinter, and the Russian Knights, so just decided to mix them together, and try something new. Plus, it will be a great way to mess with people at contests. Walk by it one time, see it one way, walk back the other way, and it's a completely different plane.

Thats a really nice idea for the scheme.

Great start on the pit too!

I don't know if this may help but if you can set the F stop on your camera to its highest setting (F22?) it will give you

a greater depth of field on your photos so the whole picture will be in focus, not just a portion.

HTH

Phil :speak_cool:

Thats a really nice idea for the scheme.

Great start on the pit too!

I don't know if this may help but if you can set the F stop on your camera to its highest setting (F22?) it will give you

a greater depth of field on your photos so the whole picture will be in focus, not just a portion.

HTH

Phil :speak_cool:

Thanks Phil. About the camera, I just use a little Sony digital camera. I'm a college student, so not much money for a really nice camera, but is there any way to help out my photos?

This should be interesting. I have n't seen many on-line builds of this big bird so I'll follow along.

I was going to ask if you were planning on getting the Zactomodel resin corrections to improve the kit proportions but......

I'm a college student, so not much money

....kind of answers my question. ^_^

Have fun.

This should be interesting. I have n't seen many on-line builds of this big bird so I'll follow along.

I was going to ask if you were planning on getting the Zactomodel resin corrections to improve the kit proportions but......

....kind of answers my question. ^_^

Have fun.

Yeah.... I might invest in the corrected canopy, if it's really a super deal and difference, or if it addresses the missing detail on the canopy. But I think the rest of it looks fine to my eyes, and apparently this is the corrected kit.

Great start!

Ironic...............I JUST picked up an SU-30MKK (and every imaginable AM I could get) so Im anxious to see how this one goes together.

I was going to ask if you were planning on getting the Zactomodel resin corrections to improve the kit proportions.....

Actually IIRC (if we have any LSPer SMEs on SU-27s please correct me if im wrong) I believe the whole story was Trumpy got the initial run of 32nd SU-27 kit intakes/shape wrong. They re-worked all of the pieces and the latter production kits of the SU-27 came out with the Trumpeter corrected pieces.

All late production 32nd SU-27s had the corrected pieces in them, and all kits after the late production SU-27s had the corrected parts including the SU-27UB two holer and the SU-30-MKK that I picked up as well.

Speaking to the SU-27 / SU-30 SMEs out there:

Does anyone know if the Aries resin wheel well set for the 32nd Trumpy SU-27 will work on the Trumpy 32nd SU-30?

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Phil. About the camera, I just use a little Sony digital camera. I'm a college student, so not much money for a really nice camera, but is there any way to help out my photos?

If you can find the instruction book there may be a way of manually setting the apeture to its widest setting.

If not have a careful look at some of the preset picture modes these cameras often have. Sometimes it will detail the settings for those in the instructions.

Best thing is to try some of the different ones until you get a wider focus.

If you are using macro that could be an issue. If you have the facility on your software, take the photos without macro and crop them.

Same result often better pictures.

Phil

Great start!

Ironic...............I JUST picked up an SU-30MKK (and every imaginable AM I could get) so Im anxious to see how this one goes together.

Speaking to the SU-27 / SU-30 SMEs out there:

Does anyone know if the Aries resin wheel well set for the 32nd Trumpy SU-27 will work on the Trumpy 32nd SU-30?

Cheers,

Brian

Awesome. I like the looks of the Su-30. What markings do you have planned for that one?

I was actually wondering the same thing, as I would like to order them, and I know the Su-27UB and the Su-30 are similar.

Actually IIRC (if we have any LSPer SMEs on SU-27s please correct me if im wrong) I believe the whole story was Trumpy got the initial run of 32nd SU-27 kit intakes/shape wrong. They re-worked all of the pieces and the latter production kits of the SU-27 came out with the Trumpeter corrected pieces.

All late production 32nd SU-27s had the corrected pieces in them, and all kits after the late production SU-27s had the corrected parts including the SU-27UB two holer and the SU-30-MKK that I picked up as well.

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian. You are correct. There is a train of thought that suggests Trumpeter copied Chris' resin intakes and used them on the later versions. (Chris actually fabricated in a subtle mistake which was replicated on the Trumpeter parts.)

That took care of the mishapen intakes but the nose and canopy still benefit from the addition of the Zactomodel corrections. In particular, the windshield is too narrow on the -UB when compared to references.

Having used Zactomodels parts on my Su-27B I can heartily recommend his products. Knowing the work that Chris does, he won't be satisfied with anything less than perfection.

Hi scvrobeson, I'm interested by your intent to use two seperate schemes on the same airframe. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Hi Brian. You are correct. There is a train of thought that suggests Trumpeter copied Chris' resin intakes and used them on the later versions. (Chris actually fabricated in a subtle mistake which was replicated on the Trumpeter parts.)

That took care of the mishapen intakes but the nose and canopy still benefit from the addition of the Zactomodel corrections. In particular, the windshield is too narrow on the -UB when compared to references.

Having used Zactomodels parts on my Su-27B I can heartily recommend his products. Knowing the work that Chris does, he won't be satisfied with anything less than perfection.

Hi scvrobeson, I'm interested by your intent to use two seperate schemes on the same airframe. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Thank you. I'll have to wait and see what the Zacto products look like, and how much they'll run me when they come out.

About the two schemes, I just couldn't decide which one I wanted to do, so I decided to split it, and do one half each scheme. I hope it works out, without me ruining a perfectly good and very expensive model.

Matt

Awesome. I like the looks of the Su-30. What markings do you have planned for that one?

I was actually wondering the same thing, as I would like to order them, and I know the Su-27UB and the Su-30 are similar.

Yeah, I was torn between the SU-27UB and the SU-30MK. I really like the looks of the UB, but the SU-30 has very similar looks and I like the squared off 90 deg vertical stabilizers.

I was like you and torn by the choice of schemes ( many less available for the SU-30 however), but I settled on doing my SU-30 either as the Russian SU-30MKK version Serial 503 in Russian yellow primer:

30mkk.jpg

OR

Russian SU-30MK2 with the light blue / med blue / gray and white camo:

SU-MK3.jpg

Looking forward to progress on this beast. You ARE correct though...............I just got the box for the SU-30MKK; BAR NONE THE BIGGEST BOX AND MODEL IVE SEEN IN PERSON!

Depending on how the voting goes, we might be able to put these giants in a "From Russia with Love" group build. :D

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha