1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt "Touch of Texas"

mynameismatt

I'm a slow builder, but here we go.
1/32 Trumpeter P-47 Razorback kit. Keeping this one pretty basic with limited aftermarket. Using Montex masks/decals. I'll probably also pick up some aftermarket gun barrels as well.

Some initial impressions - The kit seems nice but way over engineered. While some builders may love the fact that Trumpeter included the entire supercharger and ductwork, I can't help but argue that it 1.) It will never be seen and 2.) Its just more parts that need to be lined up perfectly in order for the fuselage to close nicely. Originally I considered just leaving these parts out, but it's not really possible because they hold the cocpit in place within the fuselage.

You'll also have to bear with me as I I'll be taking photos with my cell phone. They turn out ok, not great by any means, but it is way easier and less time consuming that the dslr. Maybe this thread will give me the mojo to take better pictures.

The plan is to use Montex' decals and make up "Touch of Texas" flown by Capt. Charles D. Mohrle who was awarded the DFC while flying this aircraft.

13237816555191281197.jpg

13263897555191261237.jpg

I'll be using the kit cockpit. It has enough detail for myself. Decals used for the instruments, then I filled the round areas with future floor wax to recreate a "glass" look. I also applied a dark brown wash and dry brushed aluminum to add some wear to the floor and seat.

13227159555269888667.jpg

13265922555269873697.jpg

Just FYI, the cockpit will stay in place using the tabs ion each side and it also sits on the spar, so you don't need to put all the duct work in to ensure a good fit.  In fact, I think it fits better without it.

That's GREAT news! Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for all the comments, guys. 

Here is my work so for on the radial. I don't really enjoy building radials, so I'm trying to keep the mojo flowing. You'll notice some more wiring is needed. I'm not done with it quite yet.

vo85y8.jpg

Edited by mynameismatt

And now on too my favorite part of modelling. Seam work and putty work.  :frantic:

Air ductwork on the engine nacelle.

cHnZ1P.jpg

Top of the Fuselage. Overall not bad. Pretty sloppy putty work on my behalf!

2IZ8Zf.jpg

A little work is needed on the tailwheel area.

l3s2yG.jpg

On a positive note - the wing seams look pretty clean, hooray!

RY6pz7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...