MIG-29 9-12 Aggressor

thierry laurent

Don't worry, they will arrive soon!

I ended reshaping the four missiles and filling all useless panel lines on their bodies and wings.

However, I still have to add the stripes and panels on the UZR-73, the rear fixings on the UZR-60 and the welds and winglet fixings on the two UZR-27s plus the hanging and connection system...! This means scratchbuilding a lot of very small parts. For instance, each UZR-27 will need more than sixty additional small bits of plastic. Jeez!

In the meanwhile, I'll post some pictures I forgot last year!

Thanks Martin, nice pictures!

Last year, I forgot posting this picture when I worked on the stabilators. Indeed, the Zacto set has parts to correct this area of the Revell kit. The Trumpy one is far better but the knuckle fairing is better depicted on the Zacto parts. So, I had no doubt it was better using them.

However, there is a major problem: the Zacto set has been tailored to replace each fuselage rear end and consequently, the resin parts have the same cross section than the Revell kit. As the Trumpeter similar areas are noticeably flatter (more correct), you cannot use as such the resin parts...damn it!

So, the question was: is it possible to modify the resin parts to use them but without damaging most of the fine details? This picture shows what you have to remove. It it possible to modify the resin parts but this is far from easy as more than one third of the thickness shall be sanded! Now, I still have to change the second one...

P1060875.jpg

I think I also mentioned in this thread or in another one that I often rely on plumber vinyl type tape to scribe curves in difficult areas. This picture will show you how this may be done with a fine strip. I think this is the best method when you have to scribe a line near the border of a wing tip or along a fin front edge.

P1070122.jpg

And now, some pictures of the missiles. I took them with some artificial lighting and want to apologize as they are not the best ones. However, they will show you what is important.

This one shows the UZR-27 in comparison with the body of a similar Zacto R-27 missile. As you may see on the resin part (forget the different Alamo R-27T nose type), the body has no step. All plastic ones have a step because the manufacturers mixed the short (Alamo A & B ) and long range (Alamo C & D) missiles. The long range ones have such a step but are far longer.

So, even if you want to make live Alamo A or B missiles, a similar correction shall be done.

P1070310.jpg

And here's the second missile I ended this week. As mentioned before, I've removed or filled all useless features but still have a lot of things to add on them.

The main challenge has been the re-shaping of the nose as I needed two identical ones. This is a problem you do not have when you are making a master!

P1070312.jpg

Here is a comparison of the UZR-73 I made with the body of a Zacto R73. Again, I removed all the useless features before recreating the correct ones of the inert missile. I still have to thin the front winglets as well. I started again with parts from one Trumpeter missile but had to do a lot of changes. The nose is requiring heavy modifications as the clear part is far too big and there are steps between the different nose sections whereas this is far softer on the full scale item.

P1070308.jpg

And now, the last one: the UZR-60. Again, this one asked for noticeable changes. The rear section is a dome on the inert missile rather than the classical exhaust tube and the nose section was reshaped to be closer to a Sidewinder nose profile.

No comparison with a Zacto one as I do not own any of their R-60.

Note that pictures of the full scale training missiles show some variations regarding the lack or use of wings on them. So, options are possible. Personally, I like the contrast of the fin-less R-60 and R-73 and the big, aggressive R-27.

I found a technique to do easily the circular separations between the body sections. I'll come back to this later.

Cheers.

Thierry

P1070309.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Nice to see you back at the bench working on the MIG again. Thanks you the tip on using plumber vinyl type tape for scribing panel lines in tight places.

Keep 'em comig

Peter

Thanks guys!

I realized soon this was going to be a very long and complex project. So, splitting the process into different episodes is probably necessary to avoid stopping forever this build! Consequently, I won't say for sure this is the last episode of the series but as this tactic seems efficient, I'll stick to it even if I understand this may be frustrating for viewers to see such a project stalled for months...!

When a project is not anymore a pleasure but a chore, I do not consider this to be a relaxing "hobby"!

;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I put temporarily aside the project again until the new resin cockpit and landing gear wells will be released. I may work here and there on some parts such as ending the missiles but I won't be able to close the fuselage and put the air intakes without the pit or landing gear wells parts and it is obvious the aftermarket sets will allow me to save a lot of time.

In the meanwhile, I'll go on with my Seafire.

See you here in some weeks!