• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

Well, yes, I am fortunate that I work in a job that gives me access to some nice toys. But only because my employer sells our combined srvices to the likes of Mars, Roche, Coca Cola, Thales etc etc. But I had to teach myself what CAD skills I have. You can't just download them!! And therein lies the rub.....

I am not going to spend hours and hours researching and developing CAD for a 'thing', and then sell it to one person, only for them to churn out dozens of 3d printed copies, and maybe pass on my hard-cadded design to someone else so they can churn out dozens of copies.... Would you?

Whereas, using my skills to design and then make the parts, either as cast or 3d printed items, and selling them to a sizeable number of 'consumers', makes much more sense. True, one or two might be tempted to mould and cast them, but that will involve a degree of cash, skill, and to be brutal, a bit of effort.

3D printing machines and materials are finally getting close to being useful for guys like us. At costs, and running costs, that are a bit more palatable than they were. But if you are a consumer of these products, frankly the production method is irrelevant, provided the parts 'work' for you. However, for those that are actually designing and making these products, the current developments are JUST beginning to be interesting. JUST.

But only if you have the CAD skills to develop the shapes accurately. GIGO.

And scanning is still a can of worms.......

Edited by wunwinglow, 26 September 2017 - 12:18 AM.

• Iain (32SIG), dmthamade and DeanKB like this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#47 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Dean, you are a man after my own heart. Except for the vegetarian part, you freak. :)

Tim

Tim,

You are a man of impeccable taste.

Except for the meat.

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#48 Rick Griewski

Rick Griewski

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

I would relearn CAD and create 1/32 scale planes that no mfgr would ever touch. A few of the French pre-WW2 some would say ugly bombers for example or the Potez twin engine series. Some Japanese ac come to mind.

Rick
  • Bill Cross likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users