Char d'assaut St. Chamond (late model)

dutik

Progress, progress... it's progressing much to fast and easy. Looks like I shall be able to finish this soon :deadhorse: Not good :help:

Lets add a twist or two :wicked:

:rofl:

Hey - how about an interior? :punk:

chamond12impcs.jpg

OK, I am not completly mad  :mental:  Only a little bit :whistle:

So I will build a little bit of an interior. Just what will be seen with the sidedoor and the drivers hatch opened, to add something interesting to the diorama. There are nice interior shots from Saumur available.

I cut out the drivers hatch (at the model is a solid roof below the drivers dome) and started adding bits and pieces. Not to forget a rivet or two... The french gun is an old RPM kit. If you ever see a RPM kit on a shelf - don't walk. Run! But the gun parts are a good starting point. Good enough at least to be hidden inside a dark cave.

Oh, I was hiking with the family today. I have seldom enough time to do something together with the family, the job, you know. Working at the weekends during summer season, tourist business here. And guess what we got to watch?

img_47582cqww.jpg

Yepp, quite right! :yahoo:

This is a Sea eagle, or white-tailed eagle  :thumbsup: 

Not an animal you might see every day!

Enjoy!

- dutik

The Mad Rivetter did it again!

chamond1303xwd.jpg

chamond146sy7f.jpg

OK, now we have the basic wall structures. At least whats visible from outside. Now we need a drivers chair and a gun mount.

Good news: Got one track together. Phew! Second one to follow...

Regards

- dutik

Thank you!

I want to leave the drivers hatch, the lamp hatch (the small one at the center) and the sidedoor open. Started today the drivers chair and the second track.

Regards

- dutik

Small update:

chamond15fvuhy.jpg

Did the weathering with filters (for light grey, dark yellow and light green surfaces), a brown pin wash, and a lot of pigments (mostly cheap students pigment "Bohemian green earth", some Mig "light European dust" and "Dark mud") and some "grass" fibres, fixed all with Migs pigment fixer. Last step was panting of the surfaces in contact with the track with "natural steel" by Vallejo. Thas my story, and I stick to it.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Keeping track of the tracks.

chamond16fhset.jpg

Got the pieces together. Yepp :yahoo:  Painted them with a Tamiya brown, gave them some washes with Migs "track wash" and different filters. Applied Migs pigment fixer and a lot of pigments from one side, the other day from the other side. They are today still wet from pigment fixer. Used a lot of both pigments and fixer, and it is not very warm in my hobby room. I have to wait a day or two more, before I can handle them to put them onto the running gear.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Tracks installed:

chamond17a7sge.jpg

chamond18azs1y.jpg

Gentle sanded off the pigments from the tops of the tracks and colored them "steel" with a graphite pencil. Same with the inner faces where they run over the rollers and wheels. Maybe I will add some more dust later.

Here is the dark side of the moon - a gap between sponsons and floor. Look at the area between the orange styrene and the yellow/black painted part.

chamond20w3ste.jpg

Will fix this with strip styrene.

Dry fit of the upper hull. Ready for a joyride!

chamond190ism9.jpg

Regards!

- dutik

Nice progress! What are your plans for the recessed area in the hull rear which the instructions would have you use part C20 for? I have no idea what this is there for and what its purpose is/was. The St. Chamond on display at Saumur has this blanked off with a plate, but the plate is set slightly inside the opening like it's a shutter of some kind. I managed to find one photo on chars-francais.net which shows this aperture being shuttered or blanked off in service, so I ended up closing it up with some sheet styrene on my model.

Darren

Looks like this part is a rear view window. There would be a blind spot from the rear gunners position due to the angled shape of the rear end. There is a regular station for a crew member (hatch above), engine technican or something like this, so adding a vision port would be a logical choice.

If the shape of the vision port looks odd to you - the whole tank is a very basic and odd construction, except drive train and running gear (proven tech from tram and dozers). The armor is just bolted on, there are a lot of holes and gaps all around (guess a rain coat was mandatory in foul wether) and all vision ports are just open holes with a simple shutter behind. There is another boxed in vision port in the tank. It is the box in front of the drivers position. It has a lid on top, and there is an opening in the belly armor. With opened lid it is intended to watch the ground in front of the tank as well of the whole area ahead when moving over ridges while the frontal vision ports are pointing to heaven.

Maybe the front one had a secondary use as waste dump and pissoir too :evil_laugh:

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

The mail delivered some small, but very welcome supplies:

chamond217dku7.jpg

The artist formerly known as Prince, handwheels for the drivers station, more nuts/bolts and the flexible tape needed for masking of the camo pattern.

Regards

- dutik

ooooh those handwheels are nice, gotta link for them?

Royal Model from Italy. Wellknown for high standard AFV accessoires, long before Voyager etc. arrived at the stage. Aircrafts are not their business (but they have some cool naval stuff). The handwheels are here. Also available from onlineshops.

Are the LSPlers interested  a review?

Regards

- dutik