Revell 1/24 Gemini Spacecraft complete 8/26

stikpusher

Well it is not quite a plane, although if one of the design iterations had been implemented, this craft would have actually been flown by the Astronauts in Earths atmostphere after re entry to a proper landing rather than a splashdown.

I am building this for a another website as a review this kit, most kindly provided to us by Revell. Since this is a build review, no after market parts or scratch built add ons will be done on this project. The only modifications that I plan to make are in painting as the color call outs in the instructions and image searches of the real deal do not match up.

http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/index.php

So here we go with my build of this kit. The color call outs seem to be based off of a NASA illustration and off of early/pre operational Gemini mock ups and equipment. So the first thing that I did was to go thru various image searches and find photos of actual mission equipment. So I went thru the instruction sheet and annotated my own color call outs for use during construction. One thing that I do like about the instruction sheet is that it goes back to the old Revell tradition from back in the day where the parts are identified by name so that this kit can be educational during the learning process, naming this lever or that box.

100_0807_zpsecc24904.jpg

Then I began cutting parts off of the sprues and gluing them together. The plastic itself is a tad on the soft side and not brittle at all so far. Mold seam and attachment stub clean up was quite easy with my needle files.

center console with control stick and release handle installed

100_0805_zpsfb668594.jpg

overheard center console with lever installed

100_0804_zps8b87e46e.jpg

rear bulkhead attached to heat shield

100_0801_zpsf42b3cbf.jpg

and I have the front instrument panel and cabin sidewalls removed from the sprues but will not glue them in place until after painting is done in the next few days

100_0802_zpsec2cdcf0.jpg

100_0806_zps273a64ef.jpg

with the sidewalls placed on the rear bulkhead

100_0803_zps5a1533d0.jpg

and finally the two Astronaut figures. I will not add their clear face shields until after painting

100_0800_zps796cc018.jpg

I know that painting all this will take longer than building it did 

Edited by stikpusher

Guest Peterpools

Never built the kit but same as jack the memories. It seems only like yesterday the project Mercury and then Apollo were the headlines of the day. TV was black and white and well, the rest was history.

Peter

Well I was just a infant/toddler when Gemini was in teh headlines, but I do remember Apollo quite well... Thaks for looking in on this guys. Stay tuned, I will have some good progress updates on my days off starting on Thursday.

Gemini is like the Korean War, sandwiched between two other events of more profound importance in manned space flight. Yet without Gemini, Apollo could never have happened. 

Well today I finally had some time to get in some un interrupted work at the bench here. So I started with the very mundane. Filling the seams on the Astronaut figures. Squadron white putty is seen here doing that task. I will let it dry overnite and sand it up tomorrow

100_0813_zps16890d7f.jpg

Now as I said previously the instruction sheet color call outs appear to based off of a NASA illustrution and not off any of the preserved actual Gemini Spacecraft. So I am using this walk around of the National Air & Space Museum as my primary reference source.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/space/gemini/gemini_walk1.shtml

Now based upon those photos, I am gonna go with Light Gull Gray on the interior base color with the ejections seats (YES, Gemini had actual ejection seats rather than an escape tower type system as on Mercury and Apollo) in Dark Gull Gray.

the rear bulkhead and sidewalls

100_0812_zpsbdf8340c.jpg

100_0811_zpsfdc60e5f.jpg

inner faces of the crew hatches

100_0810_zpsd9e32d29.jpg

center console, instrument panel, and overhead console

100_0809_zpsdd31aeaa.jpg

and finally, just in case, I also got the areas of the nose cone, inner capsule surfaces, etc, that just might be visible when the capsule is all put together and the hatches are opened. And with that work went the last of my Gunze Aqueous semi gloss Light Gull Gray, which is sadly no longer available at any shops here in the USA

100_0808_zpsf6dce147.jpg

Tomorrow I will do detail painting, washes, etc. and get the Instrument panel decals on hopefully.

So yesterday and today I have been working on detail painting and washes in the cockpit. 

Cabin doors/hatches

100_0814_zpsa3a711c1.jpg

Overhead & center consoles and Instrument Panel

100_0815_zpse540a89b.jpg

cockpit rear bulkhead, ejection seats, and sidewalls

100_0818_zps850ef371.jpg

and finally, the Astronaut figures. The instructions would have you paint them in one of the earlier type suits used for Mercury and pre flight publicity photos. But the actual Gemini flights were flown in a white suits of a few types that eveolved during the course of the program

100_0819_zps57777438.jpg

I am still working on them, but looking at the decal sheet, the decals have the nametapes for the Gemini 3 crew, Grissom and Young, so now I have to fine tune my (needs improvement) face painting skills for those two gentlemen...

100_0820_zps04f2b18a.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

Ok, so I have not been overly motivated to be at the bench much this past week or so, but I have been doing little bits of progress here and there along the way. So here we go...

Step 2 is cockpit work so I glued the sidewalls to the rear bulkhead

100_0828_zps255d2454.jpg

and added the decals to the center console and instrument panels
100_0825_zps5f59e869.jpg

now here is where there is a problem with the kit. The decals do not match the molded detail properly. Espcially the side parts of the front instrument panel- those would be best cut into 3rds on either side of the artificial horizon istrument and then placed accordingly. Also all the raised switches played a bit of havoc with the main decals, in spite of multiple dousings of Solvaset.

100_0827_zps4027532c.jpg

100_0826_zpsb4635286.jpg

for those of you who plan to build this kit, cut up the IP decals into smaller sections and apply them in those portions. Combined with washes and highlight work painting the IP and center console really have serious potential. Live and learn.

here are a couple views of the cockpit with the consoles in place but no exterior- I think it looks pretty good with what the kit provides, and some basic painting techniques.

100_0840_zps1906e763.jpg

100_0841_zpsf951626a.jpg

I also have done some more face work on the Astronaut figures. I still need to do some washes and highlights on the faces and suits, before I add the decals and face visors, but they are coming along well enough

100_0829_zps9f0b6711.jpg

and the last portion of Step 2 has you build the capsule exterior

100_0830_zps5fe88a28.jpg

and then I finally began to add some paint- again, I am no following the kit call outs as they are inaccurate. I used Humbrol Matt Black for a primer coat on the capsule exterior

100_0833_zps48336f35.jpg

100_0832_zps49319d2b.jpg

Step 3 begins with adding the nose section to the Capsule, which I painted up at the same time as the crew portion

100_0834_zpsf0cfed38.jpg

then you are next directed to build the retro rockets and their mounting assembly (I have not glued them in place until after they are painted

100_0835_zps122c87f6.jpg

Then we are on to Step 4 and building the exterior of the Retrograde Section

100_0836_zps49c15cdd.jpg

and gluing the Retro Rocket mount assembly into place

100_0837_zps4a9d7834.jpg

Then of course I had to do some test fit shots with the Cabin Section placed onto the Retrograde Section

100_0838_zpseaaafe86.jpg

100_0839_zps9835afb3.jpg

100_0842_zpscd5cc8ed.jpg

more coming in a few days...

So during the week I built all the small sub assemblies for Steps 5 & 6, which are essentially the internal components that go inside the Equipment Stage. And I added the final external parts on Step 7, which is the nosecone radar antenna and the manuvering rocket nozzle housings on the Equipment Stage. After building those items, I did seam clean up, but I did not glue it all in place. Instead I superglued them on to toothpicks for handling during airbrushing. Then using the following photos that I found online as reference, I began my airbrushing session today.

Retrograde Section
Retro-Adapter1_zps93b4f25b.jpg

Equipment Section
gemadptr_zps2f36fd21.jpg

Retro Rocket
53575_ca_object_representations_media_35

Retro Rockets and Manuevering Rockets (Testors Flat Steel). I still need to paint the nozzles and their attachment collars
100_0846_zpsfd890861.jpg

Electronics:clockwise from upper right Electronics Package, Cooling Unit, Battery Power Cells, and Rendezvous Radar
100_0845_zpsf93c9d82.jpg

Then we have the balls... Spaceballs that is. Oxidizers, Fuel, Reactant, Oxygen, and Pressure cells, along with the mounting framework for the Reactant Cells. The rest mount onto the top of the Equipment Stage (Model Master Oiled Steel and Dark Gull Gray)
100_0844_zps4548aebe.jpg

Then based upon the above photos, and having read that the cover between the Retrograde Stage and the Equipment Stage was made from fiberglass, I opted to use MM Radome Tan, which is a standard US aerospace fiberglass color. And I gave the external portion of those Stages a base coat of Humbrol Matt White
100_0847_zpsc7d36cdb.jpg

100_0848_zpse6412c66.jpg

Then I did a touch up coat of Humbrol Matt Black on the Capsule itself
100_0849_zps63b4a21c.jpg

More to come in the next few days...

Todays update... it does not look like much, due mostly to it being lots of little detail painting work... interrupted by a few long errands and outings...

The retro  and after maneuvering rockets... I still need to paint the ablative coating color inside the nozzles

100_0859_zps5dd268f4.jpg

Cooling unit, Communications equipment, Radar Rendevous Target Device, Power Cells, and Fuel/Oxydizer/Water Tanks on mount. I still need to finish painting the wiring

100_0857_zps9c129ac2.jpg

Interior of the Equipment Section, I still need to paint the framwork brackets and wiring/plumbing

100_0858_zpse4ea1f6a.jpg

Crew section with a coat of Gloss Black and starting to do Red detail work painting

100_0860_zpsc80ebe04.jpg

More to come in the next few days...

Really Looking Good Sir!

I love these kits and happy Revell is re-releasing them.  I have the 48 scale Mercury and Gemini and looking for the Apollo in this scale too. 

Thanks for the head-up on the IP decals, I can see where they would work but need to be cut up.

Also nice to see a tribute to "Gus" Grissom in "Molly Brown".

Thanks For the Memories

Jack

Thanks for looking in and our kind words Marauder. I love these kits as well! I have several of the Apollo kits in my stash, but need a Mercury. For their time they really were pretty well detailed inside and out. I agree about it being a nice tribute to Gus Grissom, John Young, and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" (tell me that Gus did not have a great sense of humor), but to build an accurate representation of their Gemini 3 craft, some updates and changes would need to be made to this kit. Researching into this project has shown me that this kit is more of a generic Gemini with details from various Geminis and their mock ups cobbled together. No worries though, it is a fun build and has re awakened my love for the space program.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is the latest work on my Gemini Spacecraft project

Now where was I? I hit a speed bump due to trying some new weathering techniques and had to go back and fix those up. And I have been doing bits and pieces of detail painting over the past week. Today it was time to get it all assembled.

I used oil paints to apply a pin wash on the Equipment and Retrograde Sections. . It worked good enough on the Retrograde section, but did not react well with the Floquil paint on the sidewalls of the Equipment section, my first time using that medium. Next time I know to use a dissimilar layer in between. So I touched up the paint there and then used Promodeler Wash to take care of that section.

Equipment Section

100_0861_zpsc05bc587.jpg

Retrograde Section

100_0862_zpsa1fcd66e.jpg

After getting that work fine tuned I added the equipment that goes in those sections

Equipment Section

100_0867_zps0b38b93f.jpg

Retrograde Section

100_0864_zps9a2a85f9.jpg

I also applied the Promodeler Wash to the Astronaut figures

100_0863_zps81fc9a5f.jpg

Then I applied their uniform decals- I still need to do a little more work on their faces and then add their helmet faceshields

100_0868_zps8f18f471.jpg

And I have been working on the red edging and mettalic red detail work for the capsule itself, all based off of photos of Gemini 3. Today I finally glued the capsule exterior to the heat shield so now all that needs to be added are the hatch windows. Which I will do after the decals are on and the final Flat coat on the exterior.

100_0870_zps4704253b.jpg

then a test fit of the Adapter Section to the Crew Section

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t671/stikpusherII/Gemini/100_0872_zps5b0c814c.jpg

and a test fitting of the Astronauts

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t671/stikpusherII/Gemini/100_0874_zps3831ddc4.jpg

Keep looking, more to come soon...