Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, B.

Thank you, Gazza.  I like IDF schemes as well.  I have been more familiar with modern jet schemes.  From the Phantom and Skyhawk forward.  But since beginning this build, and researching the Avia 199 and Spitfire, I've become more familiar with aircraft from the War of Independence and Sinai.

'Excellent save Mark!  I now looks much better.'

Thank you, Chuck.  It could only!  It took a long and tedious time to get that right.  I could have not bothered with the fasteners, but I just couldn't let that detail go.

Have been inching toward the finish line.

DSCN6344_zpsa8tpjgq5.jpg

Before.  That sounds familiar.  Made a Post-It stencil to apply black chalk.  Cap 'I' for 'inside'.  Aligned with panel line as a guide.

DSCN6346_zps10ev4avz.jpg

After.  That sounds familiar, too.  Since the model is flat-coated I knew the chalk wouldn't rub off.  Rubbed it down with a cotton bud to soften the edges.

DSCN6345_zpstblohnad.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6347_zps1mcjkktt.jpg

Some more powder stains.  Fuzz?  Dog!

DSCN6348_zpsevzhkwpp.jpg

Other side.  Out of alignment, I see.  Will make a field repair.

DSCN6349_zps7hvwam7w.jpg

Muzzle staining.

DSCN6352_zpsffjhqr9j.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6350_zpscpht65bw.jpg

I painted a part in the engine compartment with Brass paint and saw it didn't match the Brass I had used to paint the bullet cartridges, so I repainted those.  Much better contrast between Brass and Copper.  Painted the interstices of the bullets in the chain mail with aluminum.  This helped a lot to differentiate everything.  I thought I had painted that over-paint Gun Metal.  I'll take another look.

DSCN6351_zpsfirj9ct7.jpg

Other side.

DSCN6354_zpso0tjalbv.jpg

Finally got some work done on the propeller.  Three old, one new.

DSCN6355_zpsszubxedd.jpg

Back side 1.

DSCN6356_zpsojsvwigd.jpg

Rotated.  Back side 2.

I decided to have six rockets, so I went and bought a second Armament package.  I'll be working on that next.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Geez .. brilliant work as always. I am always amazed how nothing escapes your critical and demanding eye. Same with me on always having a dickens of a time getting the MG exhausts streaks squared away .. and now I know ho to do it. Much appreciated for the tip ..

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you, Craig.  If one makes a mistake the powder can be cleaned off with a damp cotton bud.

Thank you, Filippo.  Lots of detail painting, this one.

Thank you, Bjorn.  Please use the easy weathering techniques that I used.  Otherwise it may take you another couple of years to finish!

Thank you, Brother Bear.  My critical and demanding eye is both a blessing and a curse.

While researching and assembling the remaining two 5 inch FFARs (Forward Firing Aircraft Rockets), learn something new everyday, I saw a detail I had missed, so I tried to replicate it.

001_zpsn6ffz3qj.jpg

This is what I used as a reference.

DSCN6357_zpsr60h1ebs.jpg

I see in the photo only the cap looks new and shiny while the rest appears as if it were stored outside.  I'll study that.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

I only wish I had your demanding eye.

Nice work on the rockets - sure do look good.

Looking at the windscreen, in the first photo it seems to be in place and the second one, it has lift up?

Might not be glued in. If I remember correctly, on my Mustangs the windscreens fit snug enough that I was tempted not to glue them in at all.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Brother Bear, working 30 years as a Graphic Designer on a board gives one a discerning eye.  Then, everything was done by hand.  Drawing, drafting, layout, cutting, pasteing, painting.  Every phase.  Then photographed prior to printing.  The camera never lies.  Now, everything is done on a computer.  It's a different type of acuity.

I forgot I had taken the windscreen off for some reason.  It is in place now, as you can see.

Will post a Walk-Around in Ready for Inspection over the weekend.

DSCN6367_zpsizlk8g8a.jpg

All Together Now!

DSCN6369_zpsxqzapa7o.jpg

I can hardly believe it.  It's taken so long.

Thank you for your unwavering support, looks, likes, and compliments during this experiment.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37