AV-8B II Plus Questions

rock1947a

I've done numerous searches but can't find specific details about corrections needed for Trumpeter's AV-8B Plus.

I'm aware that the Engine Fire Access Ports are totally wrong.  Any techniques to correct them to the "tapered tube" shape, or does anyome produce corrected ones?  (I shudder to think about the results if I try plastic tubing and putty.)

The underwing hardpoint and ordnance issues have been well documented by Dave Roof for the early Harrier.

Are there any differences between the Aires Night/Attack and Plus Cockpit sets?  I have the N/A set and would appreciate any suggestions about modifying it to the Plus cockpit.  I don't think there would be much to do, but I could be mistaken.

Any other information would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

The difference between the Night Attack and II Plus cockpits are very minor and not worth addressing, even in 1/32 scale. I'm trying to get a hold of a II Plus kit and plan on giving it the same love I gave the Day Attack kit with regard to corrections needed. Unfortunately, I don't have a time frame. If you have specific questions on any details let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Dave

Thanks so much for your quick response Mr. Roof. I look forward to your review and build critique of the II Plus when you start it. I'll try to be patient (but it won't be easy). Your work is definitely worth waiting for. In the meantime, I have some work to do on the pylons, minigun, general clean-up, etc.

I'm sure you have lots of references on the subject. If anyone else is interested, I was very impressed with the SAM Publications AirData 3 book by Andy Evans titled "US Marines AV-8B Harrier II" (published in 2009 - ISBN 978-1-906959-06-7). Are you familiar with it? The 67 pages are crammed with color walkaround close-ups and profiles of the "Vanilla", N/A, and Plus versions. A short potted history is included too.

Happy Modeling!!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Update about Aires AV-8B Harrier Cockpits:

Close comparison of the Aires Night Attack (2121) and II Plus (2171) cockpits reveals that the resin parts, photo-etch, and instructions are identical. The only difference is the product identification on the photo-etch fret and instructions. Everything else is exactly the same. Anyone who intends to use the Night Attack cockpit set in their II Plus kit isn't missing anything.