Matchbox Sea Venom

LSP_Kevin

• 3 years later...

When it comes to old decals I want to use, I cut them out and give a spray of Future or gloss spray to keep them from shredding. I do have this kit, but it is in my polystyrene/resin pit.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Thanks, Maru - a bit of a blast from the past, this one! This model occupies a prominent place in my display set up, that it frankly doesn't deserve. I look at it every day, and I must confess that I don't like it anymore. I think I may repaint it at some point in the future. Perhaps even rebuilt it completely, but it definitely needs a new paint job.

Kev

I think it looks great Kev - I'm waiting on Mastercasters planned cockpit - love the Sea Venom...

Iain

Thanks, Iain. The badly silvered decals really ruined it for me (none of my photos show it all that clearly). Since finishing the build, the canopy has collapsed, and one undercarriage leg is quite wobbly. It's the paucity of decal options that has really prevented me from stripping it down and repainting it. I really should seek out a custom mask set, I guess. As much as I'd love one of those Silhouette mask cutters, I just can't afford one.

Kev

I hear you on that Kevin - would like one of those cutters too...

Presume they were the old Matchbox decals?

If you fancy re-doing her I'll happily send over the relevant markings from the newer Revell boxing?

There was also a set by Berna IIRC - but RN I think, rather than RAN...

Iain

I couldn't use the original decals, as they were water-damaged, moth-eaten, and partially stuck to the wax paper backing. I got a spare set from Matty, IIRC, but had to supplement them with decals from the Revell kit (can't recall who gave me those - Keith, maybe?). I looked at the Berna set, but really wanted to do an RAN bird at the time. Anyway, not in a hurry with this one, but if I ever get to it, I'll tap you on the shoulder!

Kev

She looks very good !

You made a very good job from a pretty old kit.

That's a pity that some parts collapsed since then. But i really did not notice anything wrong with your paint job from the pictures.

Edited by Zero77

She looks very good !

You made a very good job from a pretty old kit.

That's a pity that some parts collapsed since then. But i really did not notice anything wrong with your paint job from the pictures.

Thanks, Nicolas. I know she looks pretty good in those photos, but most of the decals silvered badly, like this one above the intake:

post-3071-1242813788.jpg

The edges of the carrier film are also really prominent on most of the decals, too. I guess this element of the build always disappointed me, and given that it was completed around 6 years ago, I'd like to think my standards have improved since then - I know my build rate certainly hasn't!

Kev

Very nice looking bird Kevin-

Your paint job looks great; a fine job on an old and rustic kit! Very inspirational. I like the fact that you add detail to suit yourself. That's what it's all about!

Regards

Tom

Very nice looking bird Kevin-

Your paint job looks great; a fine job on an old and rustic kit! Very inspirational. I like the fact that you add detail to suit yourself. That's what it's all about!

Regards

Tom

Thanks for your kind words, Tom. Glad to see that folks are still getting something out of this old build.

Kev

Thanks, Nicolas. I know she looks pretty good in those photos, but most of the decals silvered badly, like this one above the intake:

post-3071-1242813788.jpg

The edges of the carrier film are also really prominent on most of the decals, too. I guess this element of the build always disappointed me, and given that it was completed around 6 years ago, I'd like to think my standards have improved since then - I know my build rate certainly hasn't!

Kev

Indeed. And that's true that even the smallest defect that almost nobody would notice will be the most visible thing for the modeller. I dont know if these decals are the kit ones, but i often found that Revell decals (Hasegawa, too) are subject to silvering, even if applied on a perfectly gloss coat, whereas other decals from other manufacturers can be laid even of pretty coarse surfaces without any silvering.