• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

The initial blocks delivered in the Navy-like grey-white scheme were repainted but all other ones got the SEA camo in the factory. So, they had the standard set of stencils up to the first heavy overhaul that did not occur while the planes were in theater.

#17 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

The initial blocks delivered in the Navy-like grey-white scheme were repainted but all other ones got the SEA camo in the factory. So, they had the standard set of stencils up to the first heavy overhaul that did not occur while the planes were in theater.

so where we take the stencils panel no. etc. from?

#18 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:34 PM

Very few decal stencil sets have the panel numbers as even in 1/32th they are very small. Even without the numbers, there are some hundreds of stencils to add. Last, if they were visible on the undersides light grey, they were not really noticeable on the upper camo colors.

I considered once making some myself with my laser printed but finally realized this was not really necessary. The kit decals have the most common stencils and if you want to go further Aeromaster, Icarus and Isra released stencil sets.
  • harvey likes this

#19 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

The kit decals have the most common stencils and if you want to go further Aeromaster, Icarus and Isra released stencil sets.

Tamiya decals are very thick... and Aeromaster, AirDocs and Isradecals seems out of stock everywhere... can you suggest us which sheets (brand and code) are more suitable for the SEA camo? I will try to find them on ebay. TIA.

Edited by Luca, 16 July 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#20 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Indeed, even the Icarus sets look to be OOP. Initial decals of the F-4C/D were made by Scalemaster and were quite thin. However, Tamiya stopped using them because some batches were so brittle they were simply useless. If I were you I would try to find the Aeromaster set. They were printed by Microscale and were quite accurate.
  • Luca likes this

#21 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

If I were you I would try to find the Aeromaster set. They were printed by Microscale and were quite accurate.

you mean this set (ST 3201)?

s-l225.jpg

the stencils are black. Which is the correct stencils colour for the Eli sheet's birds, black or white?

Edited by Luca, 16 July 2016 - 09:56 PM.

• harvey likes this

#22 ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

Tamiya decals are very thick... and Aeromaster, AirDocs and Isradecals seems out of stock everywhere... can you suggest us which sheets (brand and code) are more suitable for the SEA camo? I will try to find them on ebay. TIA.

The Tamiya decals in the F-4C/D kit are printed by Scalemaster, they are very good decals,

#23 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:01 AM

you mean this set (ST 3201)?

s-l225.jpg

the stencils are black. Which is the correct stencils colour for the Eli sheet's birds, black or white?

Yep, this is the correct set. White stencils were only used on the SEA camo at the end of the seventies, during a short period. They are for instance required for an early F-4G.
  • Luca likes this

#24 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:03 AM

The Tamiya decals in the F-4C/D kit are printed by Scalemaster, they are very good decals,

This is not the case anymore for many years. My initial kit has the Scalemaster decals whereas the one I got some years later had Tamiya decals. Moreover, some batches were useless as such decals desintegrated immediately when put in the water!
  • Luca likes this

#25 Darren Howie

Darren Howie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hey Thierry would you mind sharing the info you have on Bob Lodge and Roger Lochers aircraft?
I thnk it was originally planned to be on the sheet?
Any reason why they where dropped? Crew chief names perhaps?
As one of the high scoring teams in Vietnam with three kills and Locher being in probably the most famous rescue in the war it's a pity we still don't have much info on them or decals.
Cheers
  • harvey likes this

#26 RNoAF

RNoAF

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

Pity Bob Lodges ac is`nt on the sheet. 

• harvey likes this

#27 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Hi Guys,

We had sufficient information to do it but it was not in the selection made by Eli and when I asked if it was not possible to add Lodges plane, the sheet was already full. So, this explains why it is unfortunately not included.

I cannot speak for Eli but if the current sheet sells correctly, I would not be surprised seeing another one dedicated to short noses as he did for the J or E marks. There is still material that has not been used and I do not even consider here postwar planes.

BR

Thierry

• harvey and Darren Howie like this

#28 Darren Howie

Darren Howie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Thierry at least the info is out there!
Pity to see a three kill pilot and his probably most famous Wizzo of the war dropped.
Hopefully we may see him given some airtime in the future as to me I model aircraft mainly of famous pilots and events and if three kills isn't enough I don't know what is!
Thanks

#29 Eli Raphael

Eli Raphael

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

If the sheet sells well, we will include them in the next one. There are many subjects that can be done.

You can't cram a sheet with so many examples and expect to sell it at a reasonable price.

Then the complaining would start.

Hope everybody understands. The chosen subjects are very colorful and nice,,,,,,

• thierry laurent and Luca like this

Eli Raphael
www.zotzdecals.net

"Love of beauty is taste. The creation of beauty is art."

#30 RNoAF

RNoAF

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

No problem Eli. You got another of my favorites on the sheet. No 601 with 2 1/2 kills :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users