• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

I just realized I still have to solve one problem with the two Robin Olds 680 plane nose versions I found (normal and slick nose). I identified the names of the crew chiefs of both periods but have yet to know which ones are corresponding to the different noses...!

I will have to re-double check all the pics...
  • Darren Howie likes this

#17 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

hi Eli, any chance to release it?

10nalxe.jpg

this is my favourite  :wub:

#18 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

We will let Eli decide.
I preselected "The Saint" and "Ripley" as they were quite colorful. However, they were already released by Eagle Strike (sheet 32011) but their sheet looks OOP. Wait and see...
  • Luca likes this

#19 Royboy

Royboy

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

There are some great schemes out there for F4's if only someone can see a market for them in 1/32 scale!

Perhaps an International F4's sheet would sell well with some really colourful schemes on them too.

Greek_phantom_7487_lands_arp_zpsja9vmtby

af33ceed523695ee08ad596389f9ce73_zpssxos

8b3822c77901ccbdd416682c74e4af68ab25280a

• Luca likes this

Don't just talk about it, build it! 

#20 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

The main problem lies in the size of such markings. You could possibly cram two such colorful schemes in a reasonable size sheet but surely not more. Otherwise, the price would explode...

On the other hand, the most reasonable way to sell such an "International" sheet would be the coverage of multiple nationalities like Greece, Turkey, Germany and Japan to enlarge the customer market...

Not easy!
  • Luca likes this

#21 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Another problem lies in the lack of modernized cockpits. You are on your own to make a Terminator cockpit or a modernized Greek UAP F-4E...

The link between available conversion sets and decal sheets is a chicken and egg problem that is not easy to solve. Sometimes a collaboration between two garage industries result in one of such products but it is the exception rather than the rule! The F-4C WW from GT or A-4C from AMS were good examples.
  • Luca likes this

#22 Royboy

Royboy

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hi Thierry,

You make an interesting point.

Could I mention that placing one main scheme on one decal sheet has been seen as a practical position by other manufacturers for some time now.

It keeps the cost of the sheet at a reasonable price and if chosen well has been quite successful for many of them.

Of course it's making 'the call' on the 'right' subjects that is the gamble for anyone, but as far as I can tell most seem to sell reasonably well in our fairly niche market.

I could envisage a possible series of International sheets if one or two could be made to test the market. 

There are no guarantees, but I've always said if models are built with those markings it must help the interest in them over time.

A fascinating subject and I wish you both luck with your decision making process!!

Thanks for giving us some great stuff so far.  

#23 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

Well, I'm in the confortable position!

I just give hints and information. I do not decide, nor pay the bills ;-)

#24 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Of course you can just put one scheme on a sheet but this would just result in decreasing the market appeal of the sheet!

From a modeller perspective, this is better as you just spend your hardly earned pennies to get the single scheme you will use. However, from a producer perspective, this is right the opposite as you have to increase as much as possible the number of possible customers to be sure that you will sell a full batch of decals... This explains why sheets covering a small number of large schemes always focus (ad nauseam) on the same bestselling topics. And if this also true for smaller scale sets, for larger scale ones, this simply worse!

In some cases, producers do not comply with their own economic laws if they really want something. For instance, I'm sure Eli did not sell hundreds of Su-22 sheets. However, this is the exception.

Personally, I would like seeing new Scooter adversary or VNAF Skyraiders sheets as I have the required info to make them. However, I fully understand that what I would like to see is not necessarily what a producer is interested into or considering as a profitable project.

In any case, I thank Eli ten thousands times as he is one of the few people who have the guts to take the financial risk to produce large scale decal sets one after the other!
  • LSP_Typhoonattack and Darren Howie like this

#25 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:48 AM

We will let Eli decide.
I preselected "The Saint" and "Ripley" as they were quite colorful. However, they were already released by Eagle Strike (sheet 32011) but their sheet looks OOP. Wait and see...

sorry, I did not know... which is "Ripley"? Any profile to see? thanks and regards.

#26 Royboy

Royboy

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

Yes,he continues to do great stuff and I hope that his sales reflect that confidence in the subjects he chooses.

I agree on the AD's and Scooters, there are still some great schemes to do out there in larger scales.

It's up to us modellers to make the models and decorate them with those decals so others are inspired to purchase them too!

Let's hope that over time we can tempt him to take further risks which I hope will earn him more profits.

I'm very happy either way and I will continue to buy Zotz decals whenever I can!

images_zpszuauqlhs.jpg

Edited by Royboy, 11 April 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#27 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

66-9723 OC code with "Ripley's Believe it or not" intake art. Sorry I did not find anything online. There is also a profile in the Squadron Signal in Action booklet.

• Luca likes this

#28 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

66-9723 OC code with "Ripley's Believe it or not" intake art. Sorry I did not find anything online. There is also a profile in the Squadron Signal in Action booklet.

I have the Eagle Strike set and can vouch that Ripley is great. Pale blue Sqn trim, crew name placard and white artwork, and a perfect canvas for GTR ER-142/APS-107 nose antennae & short ALQ-101 or -71s *plus* Falcon missiles if and when AIM-4Ds and the L-series rails become available (pleeese!)

There are some great schemes out there for F4's if only someone can see a market for them in 1/32 scale!
Perhaps an International F4's sheet would sell well with some really colourful schemes on them too.

Another problem lies in the lack of modernized cockpits. You are on your own to make a Terminator cockpit or a modernized Greek UAP F-4E...
The link between available conversion sets and decal sheets is a chicken and egg problem that is not easy to solve. Sometimes a collaboration between two garage industries result in one of such products but it is the exception rather than the rule! The F-4C WW from GT or A-4C from AMS were good examples.

I would set your sights on the not too distant Tanmodel F/RF-4E kit which apparently will come with latterday cockpit panel options and the liklihood of international markings - and provide the impetus for some of the fancy Greek and Turkish slatted wing E and hard wing RF-4E schemes.
There are some very attractive two-tone blue schemes being worn by the surviving JASDF Phantoms that I'd love to see in decal form. The Wolfpack F-4EJ KAI set isn't perfect but does permit an up-to-date hard wing Phantom II

Tony
Finally spraying again

#29 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Indeed but I'm ready to bet the decal producers will wait for the release of such kits before producing Terminator or UAP decals...!

Wolfpack released JSDAF Panther squadron decals. This was at least part of their initial Kai set. If my memory is right, the decals may still be available but only from the decal producer.

#30 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

sorry, I did not know... which is "Ripley"? Any profile to see? thanks and regards.

This is Don Greer artwork from the same Sqn Signal publication from which you posted The Saint (reproduced here for educational purposes only)...

image_85.jpeg

IIRC the Eagle Strike decal instructions call out for a powder blue fincap and stab tips. I've been interested in doing this for years and would get the newer Zotz sheet regardless. Just needs Falcon missiles and the launch rails peculiar to that type.

Tony
Finally spraying again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users