• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Camden Town and Borough Market are Must Do's, first for the wide variety of stuff that is there, second for some really amazing food and snack options. Plus you can take a boat to/from Camden if you don't want to take the bus.   Also highly recommend: Churchill's command bunker museum.  Esp if its raining.  London Eye is ok, best if it is crystal clear out.

LOVED the Imperial War Musuem, and if you can get up to Duxford, that alone is worth a day.  The Victoria and Albert (V&A) is also a lovely place.

So a nice mix of modeling and non-modeling activities.

It is a 45 min or so train up to Cambridge but there is a US War Cemetery there, along with the colleges and a lovely smallish town to walk.  Love it up there too.

But yes, for the love of god and country, on the escalators, STAND RIGHT, WALK Left (and walk is more on the way up, on the way down people RUN).

And definitely get the Oyster cards.  Save you the hassle of tickets, and are so easy to use on the bus too.  There are TWO apps you have to download:

LONDON TUBE MAP from Mapway.  Its free so there are some ads, but it is invaluable for figuring out which tube line to take where, and the schedule, etc. Second is a London Bus App.Try the one from Mobicia.  Again free, so some ads, but if you want a prayer of navigating the busses, you'll need help. 

Good luck!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll, 03 September 2017 - 02:33 PM.

• BiggTim likes this

#17 Hardcore

Hardcore

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

I saw the okapi at the London zoo decades ago. Wonder if both are still there.

#18 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

If you're coming in via Heathrow, the quickest way into London (15 mins) is via Heathrow Express.
Alternatively cab £80-100, tube a will be an hour........
  • CANicoll likes this
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang

#19 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

There is a great little pub on the corner accross the street from the British Museum if you need a beer break!  It will take all day to see everything there.

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#20 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Oh yeah and you can't miss Ye Olde Mitre 

It's the oldest pub in London, established in the mid 1500's

Ron

Douglas Adams

#21 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

St. Paul's to South Bank via the Millennium bridge, can literally see it from my office.......
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang

#22 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Wow! Some really great ideas and suggestions here! As stated before, take time to see Vienna too!
Wishing a safe holiday!
Cheers
Alan

#23 phantomdriver

phantomdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

With regards to the Tower, be prepared to spend a LOT of time , it's big and lots to see, the Yeoman guided tour is a hoot!

be prepared to part with a lot of money just for the ticket, it was about £20 pp last time I took someone , a couple of years ago.

The Old Curiosity Shop , off Kingsway

Great Fire of London Monument, on certain days you can climb up to the top, and get a great panoramic view..

Edited by phantomdriver, 04 September 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#24 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

Brian on a forum I use does some fantastic shots in and around London, these may inspire you

https://forum.keypub...ht=#post2382659

also mentioned by him

The Switch House, named after a part of the old Bankside power station, is a new £260M 10 floor Pyramidal extension to Tate Modern which was built to exhibit more of the Tate's extensive collection of modern art and which was opened to the public last week. I didn't visit to look at the artwork but to take the lift to the 10th floor and the public viewing gallery with views over London. Unlike the public viewing area in the Shard where you have to pay, or 1 Fenchurch Street which is free but you have to book a time slot, the viewing gallery in the Switch House is FREE with no restrictions or security checks before you get in the lift. Plus point, apart from being FREE, there are no windows so no shooting through glass. Minus point, it's to the rear of the Tate and about 150m from the Thames so views are a bit restricted of the river and the city. Across the road from the Switch House is NEO and ALBION Bankside which are modern tower block's with shops around the base and apartments above. Privacy is not a strong point here as from the 10th floor of the Switch House, you can see straight into these flats. A return visit later in the year as the night draws in and the lights are turned on for for a night photo shoot inside and out.

The 1 Fenchurch Street mentioned is the Skygarden, see link for the stunning views and you can BOOK a visit without dining etc

https://skygarden.london/

These are Brians views from there.. see the link for more

http://www.ilcephoto...an16/4591580577

4626211280.jpg

4626211274.jpg

4626211286.jpg

Edited by TonyT, 04 September 2017 - 12:38 PM.

• MikeC likes this

#25 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

London is actually one of the few cities where I would recommend taking a tour bus (hop on, hop off variety). That's because it's HUGE in area, and many things are scattered all around. Tube stops are also not always convenient, and you never know when this or that line is going to be out of service or something else. The RAF Museum in Hendon is a winner (and just down the street from Hannants if you need a crash buy to salve an itch). Food should def include Indian, as London is considered one of the world's best places for that fantastic cuisine.

National Portrait Gallery for its Flemish Masters, and TURNER, one of the greatest Impressionists of all (though the French don't recognize him as that). Imperial War Museum is delightful. And the Tower really is a no-miss destination.

A day trip to Stonehenge is also something not to be missed.

• CANicoll and MikeC like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#26 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

If you go to Stonehenge then I'd suggest going to Bathe also.

• CANicoll likes this

Ron

Douglas Adams

#27 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

If you go to Stonehenge then I'd suggest going to Bathe also.

It's just that you can get a motor coach tour to Stonehenge that helps when the dogs are barking after wondering through museum after museum. It's a nice day and when you get back in the evening, there are some good Indian restaurants near the station (Kensington IIRC).

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#28 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

One thing about Hannants, if you order in advance you get a 10% discount.
  • Bill Cross and MikeC like this

#29 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

I usually rent a car at Avis at Heatherow for a country visit down there then catch the tube back into London.

Ron

Douglas Adams

#30 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

One bit of advice on renting cars: it's common in the UK at rental returns for them to find "damage" (for my last rental, they found a small rub on the paint). The bill was 75 quid, about $125 at the time. Your choice is dispute it and miss your flight, or pay.

The solution is to pay for your rental with an AMERICAN credit card (I had MasterCard). The reason is that credit card companies in the US are subject to much stricter consumer regulations than elsewhere. When I returned home, I disputed the damages portion of the charge. The rental company (one of the biggies) didn't even respond to the dispute, and of course I didn't pay.

Edited by Bill Cross, 05 September 2017 - 07:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users