Trumpy Hurri Mk IIC

Lancman

Are you sure the blade tips are rounded? The ones I have seen with Rotol blades do

have that particular sharp corner at the front. Or is there a difference between wartime

blades and newly manufactured Hoffmann blades for todays restorations?

Cees

Hi guys I had a look on internet plus through my books and couldn't find the aircraft I am modelling but i found this (see link) and the MkIIc pics I did find had what looked like rounded tips and the later Mk IV's had the kit tips????????????? As the prop is wooden (i think) I went with the Rotol drawing plus it's too late now :thumbsup:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Propellers/Rotol/rotol.htm

Graham.

Hi guys I had a look on internet plus through my books and couldn't find the aircraft I am modelling but i found this (see link) and the MkIIc pics I did find had what looked like rounded tips and the later Mk IV's had the kit tips????????????? As the prop is wooden (i think) I went with the Rotol drawing plus it's too late now :speak_cool:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Propellers/Rotol/rotol.htm

Graham.

Ohhhhh very nice info ! :evil_laugh: Thank you for the link !.... as for being too late ?.. it's never too late.... remember, a scale model is NEVER finished.. you just decide to stop working on it. We all have to decide how far we want to go.. I'm sure a replacement prop can be found, either aftermarket or someone on LSP who is not going to use the kit part.

Cheers

Vaughn

I have several books on the Hurricane and have seen no MK IIC's with that type of prop slanted at the end. I even have photos of the Malta IIC's that came over from North Africa which is what I'm building and they also don't have this slanted prop. The line drawings also don't show it. I'm sure other props have been used but I have yet to see a war time photo of one. They certainly don't seem to be in the majority if they were used.

Here is a MKIIC I visited in person that belongs to the Smithsonian. No slanted prop tips. I wish I had done more shaping of my prop but I don't feel like taking it apart again and it's already painted. I also wish I had flatted the spinner tip a bit like this one. The prop manufacturer marks seem to also be rare in all the photos I have too. I suppose the markings were probably painted over during repairs or just wore off from all the abuse.

109_0914.jpg

109_0923.jpg

Another thing to consider is the length of the Trumpeter canons. I have indeed seen long canon barrels like the ones in the kit but they seem to be in the minority. Most I have seen are short like these. I'll be cutting mine. Another decision for you to make.

109_0912.jpg

Thanks Don for the info, I am surprised that Quickboost hasn't replaced the muzzles or the prop.

Graham

The aftermarket seems to completely ignore this kit. It's a shame when you consider that it's one of the best Hurricane kits in any scale. I wish someone would make a nice selection decals for the various theatres of war too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I bought one of those airbrush thingymijigs and here's my attempt at the mystical shading. Still trying to get used to it so this might take a wee bit longer.

hurri19.JPG

hurri20.JPG

Graham.

Looking good Lancman! I always overdo the painting and lose the shading bit. I'm going for the faded look on my trop so I didn't even bother with it on mine. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

• 2 weeks later...