Finally got my new backyard storage shed built and some things cleared out of the heated storage room in the garage where I do my model building, so I spent the rainy Saturday mocking up my new spray booth. I bought a simple 6" duct booster fan on Amazon for 22 USD that pulls about 240 cfm, and uses 110 AC power, and mounted it through the wall with a hood on the outside. I also needed the booth to fold away into the shelves when not in use, so I can get past it to the rest of the shelves. I used another pie of OSB to extend the shelf out and put some old door hinges on it. Here's where I started:
Next I put in an undercounter light that I picked up on clearance when we were doing our kitchen some years back.
Then I mocked up the shape of it with cardboard and tape,
and built a frame with 1/4" screen on it to hold the filter. It also fits a common furnace filter size, should I want to go that route.
Added some filter material I ordered online for about 5 bucks (enough to change it out 3-4 times), and voila! Tested it out with a rattle can and seems to work well. I could barely smell the fumes after quite a bit of spraying.
And finally, tested out how it folds up:
I'll lay down a clean piece of cardboard or plastic shelf paper to prevent dust from the wood when I try it out on a model. Once I work out the bugs, I'll build it out of something nicer.
Maybe now I can actually do some painting on the 5-6 WIPs that I have been tinkering with for lack of a place to paint!!