Hawker Typhoon

thierry laurent

Did anyone in REAL industry ever use 'Scale' drawings? Certainly all the drawings I have ever seen, from original Bristol Fighter ones to Concorde, all had 'Do Not Scale' written boldly somewhere on them.  Paper, linen, even Mylar film can stretch, and my father often told how his Concorde drawings would change noticeably if a thunderstorm passed by....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Did anyone in REAL industry ever use 'Scale' drawings? Certainly all the drawings I have ever seen, from original Bristol Fighter ones to Concorde, all had 'Do Not Scale' written boldly somewhere on them.  Paper, linen, even Mylar film can stretch, and my father often told how his Concorde drawings would change noticeably if a thunderstorm passed by....

Tim

In many instances that I've encountered, what happens is that the design changes in mid-drawing. When that happens, you have but two basic choices, erase and redraw the entire thing, or just change the dimensions, then put NTS next to those dimensions. Written dimensions almost always overrule actual drawing scale dimensions. CAD makes those physical changes to the drawing lots easier, but still sometimes just changing the dimensions is a lot faster. A lot depends on the intended use of the drawings too, with the majority just intended to convey an image of the object, and dimensions to denote its proportions. Scale accuracy under those circumstances, is thereby irrelevant.

Exactly. When I was an architectural modelmaker we had a model of the Hong Kong and Shanhai Bank building in HK to make. I was given a pile of scale drawings to get on with the baseboard while another chap built the actual building. When it came to final assembly it all went together perfectly. Until we noticed it was way taller than an adjacent building....

Turned out, when the project leader photocopied the original drawings down 'to scale' for us but between the plans and elevations the photocopier helpfully reset itself to 1:1...... So the model fitted in the hole but was way too tall!!!

Luckily we salvaged it before the wind tunnel test by slicing it up into about 30 pieces to remove the surplus. Complicated by 500 pressure tappings and tiny polythene pipes! But we did it......

Lesson learned.