LSP references database

LSP_K2

References Database: do you use it?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware that we have a references database?

• No, I never knew that
    • Yes, and I never use it
    • Yes, and I use it infrequently
    • Yes, and I use it a lot

OK, folks, here's a poll that I'm most interested in. Please take the time to answer, regardless of your experiences. If you'd like to offer input for improvements or changes, please feel free to add that too.

Thanks a bunch,

I've seen the button in the LSP header page, but I usually either go straight to the forums (bookmarked in my browser), look at the "What's New" page, or use the kit database; so I've never got round to looking at it.  I will go and do so now.

I don't use it too often as I'm no fast machine on making models...

But I appreciated it.

It's great to have something like this handy when you're looking for references.
I can imagine there must be tremendous amount of work behind it though.

So I'm not surprised it's far from being comprehensive.

I might be helpful with Beaufighter, which is my main subject, if there is interest...

:rolleyes: 

It seems to be a list of books, if you click on a book it gives you an idea of the content

For no particular reason, I am curious about Spitfire MK.I and MK.II aeroplanes used for photo reconnaissance work. I'm not clear how to use this reference section to help me

Richard

The main goal of the Reference section is to act in support of the Kit Database, though it obviously functions as a standalone book database, too. If you look at any popular entry in the Kit Database (example), you will see a bunch of supporting information as you scroll down. One of those sections is a list of applicable reference books. There is also a group of 'related content' links just under the main kit entry, to help with jumping to those different sections on a long page with a lot of information on it.

It's a perpetual work-in-progress, of course, and we're always open to suggestions about ways we can make it better.

Kev

so.... its really just a book reference?

if so i have a large collection of books on RAF modern types, im happy to scan the covers and send the details to someone to add to the resource

Yes, a huge list of aviation specific reference books. You may wish to check first, as many of the books you have, may already be listed, though more new titles to add, is always a big plus, in my opinion.

I can imagine there must be tremendous amount of work behind it though.

So I'm not surprised it's far from being comprehensive.

Quite a bit of work, yes, and at present count, 5,609 titles included, so quite comprehensive indeed.

It seems to be a list of books, if you click on a book it gives you an idea of the content

For no particular reason, I am curious about Spitfire MK.I and MK.II aeroplanes used for photo reconnaissance work. I'm not clear how to use this reference section to help me

Richard

Go to the database search area on the home page, here, and type in Spitfire,... this is the result.

There are a lot I have that arnt there, is there an email I can send photos and details to to be added to the database?

Yes, a huge list of aviation specific reference books. You may wish to check first, as many of the books you have, may already be listed, though more new titles to add, is always a big plus, in my opinion.

That's true, assuming that PR is also listed in the "types" field, but is sometimes not, and then the book won't appear in the listing, even though it's in the database. The AJ Press volume 4 book on the Spitfire is an example. As a general rule, less is more when searching from the home page.

Another example would be Bf 109G-6/R6, vs Bf 109G. The Bf 109G will yield tons of results, the Bf 109G-6/R6 will yield nothing.