A Spitfire question...

RLWP

It's closest to the PR IV, Grey Matter produce a deep chin, not sure if their PR XIX windscreen would fit, but you'd be on your own with the bulges on the main canopy part. You can find builds online in smaller scales, which give an indication of what's required.

Without a doubt - it's likely a better starting point than the newer Recell release, as it doesn't have the pot-belly under the wing.

The surface detail is particularly good, though how much will survive eliminating the gun bays  is a moot point. (Though the lo-level PR I G retained its armament and fighter windscreen).

Detail such as (lack of) wheel bays and main landing gear themselves would be best replaced, and the missing gull wing fixed. I think Grey Matter cover the gull wing, while SAC and Barracuda or Eduard likely cover the main gear legs and wheels.

The hardest part is likely to be sourcing or moulding the non fighter transparencies, either with or without the vision blisters. The deeper 'chin' fairing for the larger oil tank would also need to be made up with milliput or similar, but it's not as deep as on the later Merlin PRX or PRXi

There's a decent article with a run down of the changes made to the PRiV here, but there are no doubt plenty more out there.

It's closest to the PR IV, Grey Matter produce a deep chin, not sure if their PR XIX windscreen would fit, but you'd be on your own with the bulges on the main canopy part. You can find builds online in smaller scales, which give an indication of what's required.

That's helpful

Grey Matter do a full on PR.XIX conversion: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMAA3215-SPITFIRE-PRXIX-389-HASEGAWA-REVELL-MKI-II-/221091608537?hash=item337a1637d9.

That's a bit hardcore for me. I guess that would be the canopy.

They also make this correction part:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMAA3226-SPITFIRE-LOWER-FUSELAGE-CORRECTION-1-32-REVELL-Mk-I-II-SEAFIRE-Mk-/321378982611?hash=item4ad3ae1ad3

Is that necessary?

Also, where would I find some information?

Richard

There's a decent article with a run down of the changes made to the PRiV here, but there are no doubt plenty more out there.

That's useful too, for the article and the website

Richard

I think the lower fuselage correction is for the olde Revell Spitfire/Seafire, Grey Matter will sell parts separately, just email them.

The Barracuda seat is better, they produce some nice Spitfire products, Aires make a Mk V cockpit, which will fit, and will be similar to the IV.

I think the lower fuselage correction is for the olde Revell Spitfire/Seafire, Grey Matter will sell parts separately, just email them.

The Barracuda seat is better, they produce some nice Spitfire products, Aires make a Mk V cockpit, which will fit, and will be similar to the IV.

Being a cheapskate, and not afraid of soldering, I'm drawn to the Eduard interior and exterior sets for the cockpit, seat and wheel well

It would make for an interesting project, for sure. I still love the old Revell Mk I/II boxing, and really need to add another to my collection, as I sold off my last one.

Have you put up a build thread, Kevin?

Richard

It would make for an interesting project, for sure. I still love the old Revell Mk I/II boxing, and really need to add another to my collection, as I sold off my last one.

Kevin, you can still get the original plastic which, at least in Europe, is now sold as the Seafire Ib.

There's likely a bit more minor flash than on the original;, but the surface detailing is as sublime as ever.

rev04780_0.jpg

You might find this useful Richard http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2006/05/stuff_eng_profile_pr_spitfires.htm

This is a useful book, though I can't believe how much it's going for, cost me a tenner a few years back, but you might find it much cheaper elsewhere http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merlin-Spitfires-Detail-Classic-Warbirds/dp/0958229651

Don't think you need the deep chin for a PR IV.  Some of the early PRs had them (such as the PR type C), but not the IV. 

The PR XIX didn't have the side bulges in the canopy.  Grey Matter do - or did - a specific PR canopy with the bulges: GMAA3234.

If you can get hold of the two Ventura books Merlin PR Spitfires & Merlin PR Spitfires in Detail you'll find them invaluable.

If you can get hold of the two Ventura books Merlin PR Spitfires & Merlin PR Spitfires in Detail you'll find them invaluable.

And broke!

Grey Matter list the chin for the PR. IV. Browsing the internet I can find pictures and profiles of PR. IVs with and without it

I'll see if our local library can help with the books

Richard

And broke!

Grey Matter list the chin for the PR. IV. Browsing the internet I can find pictures and profiles of PR. IVs with and without it

I'll see if our local library can help with the books

Richard

Interesting.  The deep chin, as you know, housed a larger oil tank.  It was present on the PR type C and type F, but as far as I can find, not on the PR IV.  This had the extra oil tank housed in one of the redundant gun bays in the wing.

Are you sure that the profiles showing the "deep chin" are not showing a Vokes filter?  Some PR IVs certainly had those.