Photo

P-51 Wings: Color and Finish

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_TimC_*

Guest_TimC_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

Some D's that were replaced with new a/c remained operational.
Preddy's 44-13321 was re-assigned to another pilot.
Same with Meyer's 44-15041.

Yes, that is correct. It happened regularly but how widespread it was, I cannot say. I do know Richard Peterson's original P-51D-5 was assigned to another pilot after he got a new one. I have a couple theories as to why this happened; neither one based on any large amount of substantiation so please take it with a grain of salt.

The first one, however unlikely, is that a pilot's aircraft that was in need of extended maintenance (such as changing a wing or fuselage) was taken to the backshops to have the work done. In the interim, the pilot was issued a replacement aircraft. When the first aircraft was finished it was listed as active and then reassigned to another pilot. Again, this is just a guess and is based on more of a "hunch" than any factual information so please do not tout this as fact as the facts have not been established to corroborate this theory.

The second theory as to why pilots were assigned to older aircraft may be a little more tangible. Naturally a fighter pilot always wants the latest and greatest and those that were fighting the airwar deserved nothing less. The higher ranking pilots (and sometimes the more adept) would be the first ones to get new equipment as it filtered into the theatre (that much is a fact). When they got a new aircaft, their old one would be reassigned to a lower time pilot (i.e. replacement pilot) or one that was using older equipment than the replacement they'd be getting (that's the theory).

That's the best of my thinking on the subject. The jury is still out and there may be entirely different reasons as to why aircraft were reallocated within a squadron or group and one or both of my scenario's may be totally off-base.

Edited by TimC, 11 September 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#32 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

Tim
Very sound theories. My thoughts would lean very strongly to the second theory. Everything filters downhill and the trick is to get yourself to the top of the hill.
Peter
  • mpk likes this

On the bench: Trumpeter A6A Intruder VA-165 Boomers

USS Constellation 1971-72

#33 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:27 AM

Tim, I submitted the above in case someone might misinterpret your post as meaning
that some a/c were struck off charge when replaced with a new one.
I too wonder how often a/c were re-assigned. Was it common ?
Was it just the aces a/c ? :shrug:
  • mpk likes this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#34 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Decision Time and it's just about time to finalize my war planes for the Mustangs wings and fabric covered ailerons:
1. Primed with Tamiya Fine Gray Primer
2. Polish out the primer
3. A mix of Floquil Old Silver and Floquil Reefer White.
4. Gloss topcoat
5. Ready for decaling

Peter
  • CANicoll and mpk like this

#35 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,386 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

2. Polish out the primer

Just remember, all paints weather acrylic, enamel or lacquer need something to "bite" into. The only times Ive ever experience any issues with paint not sticking is when the surface to be painted is either not clean enough or is too glossy or smooth to have the paint grip/bite into the surface properly.

Personally ive never found it necessary to polish primer or even bare plastic, A good runover the surface to be painted with a grit of 1000 - 1500 is perfectly acceptable for most paints.
Id say for Alclad or NMF paints, 1500 - 2000 would be perfectly fine.

I usually prime over a surface prepped with 600 - 1200 as the primer likes those slightly more rough surface to dig into. Using the above method, and Tamiya or Mr S primers i have yet to have any paint or primer flake or chip in any way.

Edited by Out2gtcha, 14 September 2012 - 06:25 AM.

• mpk likes this

#36 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

Brian
Got ya. After the primer is on, I'll keep the sanding to 1500 grit to be on the safe side.
I started masking last night and found the gun bays are going to be a bit of a problem because I detailed them, the spare set of gun/ammo bay doors can't be used. Looks like I'll be masking them off for a few more hours of work I wasn't counting on.
Thanks for the heads up
Peter
  • mpk likes this

#37 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

Polishing the plastic surface and put standard fine primer seems more appropriate to my eyes...!
  • mpk likes this

#38 DesTROYer

DesTROYer

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:04 AM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but as the Mustang I'm building is quickly approaching a point where a decision needs to be made, I thought I'd take a read. Interesting stuff. As I'm building a Korean era Mustang, I think I will go with no putty on the wings. The detail on the Tamiya Mustang is so fine and detailed that 1. It would be a shame to cover it up. 2. By the 50's these planes would have been serviced and cleaned up so many times, I doubt much putty would have remained.

If anyone has a compelling argument for why they should be puttied please let me know.

#39 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

It's your model to do any way you want to, but bear in mind that most of the Mustangs that went to Korea came out of long term storage where they had been sent directly from the factory and the mod center at the end of the war. Most of them had next to no hours on them. A few ANG birds went overseas, but those were also basically brand new when the Guard got them.
  • R Palimaka, Rick Griewski and DesTROYer like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#40 DesTROYer

DesTROYer

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:28 AM

Thanks Jennings. That makes a lot so sense. Nothing is locked in yet so I'll take it on board.

#41 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

Most of the pics I've seen of Korea 51s look pretty ragged.

You'd be fine going unputtied I think.

Korea.jpg

F-51wing.jpg

• Lothar and allthumbs like this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#42 DesTROYer

DesTROYer

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:13 AM

Great pics Mike. Thanks. Though mine will be a RAAF Mustang that does reinforce my view on the matter a little. 

#43 Fencer-1

Fencer-1

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Most of the pics I've seen of Korea 51s look pretty ragged.

You'd be fine going unputtied I think.

Korea.jpg

F-51wing.jpg

You are right! One more Korean P-51D photo clearly shows unputtied wing.

36397210372_54cc03df9b_b.jpgCAMJSLYH by Alexey Matvienko, on Flickr

• allthumbs and mmaben like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users