Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Those photographs are simply fantastic in every regard. Knowing that your father was witness to the events, and this specific event is truly 'living history'.

I'm sure this dio will be tops!

I'm looking forward to this thread a great deal.

Sincerely,

Mark

Looking forward to how you're gonna replicate the oil on the windscreen

Yes so am I!

I think I might have to look at artists oil paints.

Saying that though the screen looks like it may have been cleaned up a bit when she's up on the drums.

Either way it will be tricky.

Phil

Yes so am I!

I think I might have to look at artists oil paints.

Saying that though the screen looks like it may have been cleaned up a bit when she's up on the drums.

Either way it will be tricky.

Phil

Phil, if you have any Tamiya Smoke (or perhaps the Gunze equivalent), it tends to have quite an oily look to it straight out of the bottle. Might be worth experimenting with.

Kev

:blowup: :crying:

I have just been googling some Bf 109F pictures, and looking again very closely at your photograph, it appears that the engine covers have been removed in order to inspect the engine. The cover latches appear to be intact (not torn or damaged in any way), there is a radius shaped area on the fuselage area just aft of the cover that appears to be clean and free from oil - like there was some form of fairing or cover here. Finally, their appears to be a radial fairing that sits immeditately behind the spinner that has been removed - most pictures I have just seen show this as been a fixed fairing, so it must have been removed. I am sure that the more knowledgable Bf 109 experts amongst us will correct me if I am at all mistaken?

Derek

I think you are quite right Derek.

The clean areas are where the machine gun bulges are on the cowlings on the G6.

Putting my retired Police Inspector's hat on, this would prove that the cowlings were removed after the event, ie the fuse under the bulges received no oil spray.

As you say with the latches intact the cowlings must have been removed normally.

I am intending to use the bulged part of the cowling as a mask on the fuse when I try to create the oily bits!

I can only presume they are out of shot in both pictures ???? Or maybe they had already flogged them to a local scrap merchant! (You know how big those mess bills can be!!).

Depending on how it goes I may use a bit of artistic licence and put them back in but I don't want the base ending up the size of a pool table!! :(

Phil

Phil, if you have any Tamiya Smoke (or perhaps the Gunze equivalent), it tends to have quite an oily look to it straight out of the bottle. Might be worth experimenting with.

Kev

Mark,

Thanks for your kind words, I'll do my best!

Kev,

Top Tip mate. Thanks I'll try some.

Phil :(

Note the seriously feathered prop.

Strewth! I never noticed that Keith!

I'll make sure I set the blades set at the correct pitch.

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm sure I would probably of missed it!

Ron,

I hope to be starting soon!

Phil :beer:

hey Phil

very VERY cool story - i just love modelling history where there is a personal connection, and it doesn't get much stronger than the one you outline

look forward to seeing your progress

thanks for sharing the story

Nick

Great scheme, can't wait to see this one progress! Nice that there's a personal connection too.

I've been toying with a similar crached 109 diorama idea, but with the result painted in black and white to look like a old photo in 3d :popcorn: Needs some thought...

Great scheme, can't wait to see this one progress! Nice that there's a personal connection too.

I've been toying with a similar crached 109 diorama idea, but with the result painted in black and white to look like a old photo in 3d :thumbsup: Needs some thought...

Thanks Nick!

Butler,

Thats really weird as I was talking to another member yesterday about maybe doing the whole thing in greys as it is in the photo

so it would be a black and white diorama.

It would certainly avoid any controversy about the scheme being correct!

Not sure I have the bottle to carry it off though but it would certainly be different!

Phil

Another member, David Brown sent me another photo just after landing.

Clearly shows the cowlings still on at that time.

Gives me a good idea of the mottling and the "ghost" codes where the originals have weathered off.

post-13803-1277267374.jpg

Many thanks for the photo David!

Phil

Thanks Nick!

Butler,

Thats really weird as I was talking to another member yesterday about maybe doing the whole thing in greys as it is in the photo

so it would be a black and white diorama.

It would certainly avoid any controversy about the scheme being correct!

Not sure I have the bottle to carry it off though but it would certainly be different!

Phil

That would be so cool... I once saw a figure, a caricature of Charlie Chaplin done that way at a contest... it was the most amazing and eye catching thing in the contest.

Cheers

Vaughn

That would be so cool... I once saw a figure, a caricature of Charlie Chaplin done that way at a contest... it was the most amazing and eye catching thing in the contest.

Cheers

Vaughn

I'm pretty sure I saw a model on either ARC or Britmodeller where the builder painted it in greyscale, simulating the effect of a black & white photo. It was really amazing how effective it was.

Kev

Vaughn and Kev,

Its very, very tempting but I hoped to try and reproduce what it looked like in real life.

I thought the black and white idea would be pretty straightforward then I remembered that I would have to

scan and reprint the decals to get the stencils in greyscale and I don't have the technical ability to do that yet!

I would probably have to make my own greys as so many of the "made up" greys have tints of blue/green etc.

Its certainly worth thinking about for the future ( still tempted though!) :clap2:

Phil

Its very, very tempting but I hoped to try and reproduce what it looked like in real life.

Fair call, you can always edit the photos of it afterward.

That other pic you posted is a goodie... still no canopy