Rules of the Road

Welcome to the Eric Brown Tribute Group Build!

Running Time

This will run from 3 April 2016 until 31 October 2016, which is an extra month over our standard 6-month time frame.

Eligibility

Any LSP kit of an aircraft that Eric flew during his record-breaking career is eligible. It doesn't have to be represented in the exact markings as flown by Eric, but it should be the same sub-type or variant where possible. If it can be the correct markings, even better! Our standard GB rules apply, which stipulate that any build must be no more than 25% completed to be eligible, but we're not hard-and-fast about it.

The following Wikipedia article lists the aircraft that Eric flew during his career:

List of aircraft flown by Eric "Winkle" Brown

The list is not particularly detailed, but can be used as the basis for further research.

New GB Moderator

This GB sees the inauguration of a new GB moderator in the form of BradG, so please welcome him to his new role! He will assist the running of the show, as well as making sure the GB Gallery is kept up-to-date.

OK, who's first? And don't forget to have fun!

Kev

Any ideas where we might find photos/schemes of the aircraft he actually flew?

I am particularly interested in the Macchi 205

Well, that's the particular research challenge with this GB! I have Wings of the Luftwaffe, which may provide details of the Luftwaffe aircraft he flew, but I don't know of any other source that would do the same for the Macchi 205. When I get time, I'll flick through my book and list what I find here.

Good luck in your search, Mike!

Kev

Going through War Prizes I can identify a few captured aircraft for people that he flew (that are in LSP kit form);

Junkers 88G-6 WNr 621965 Air Min 9

Focke Wulf Ta 15H-1 WNr 150168 Air Min 11

Focke Wulf 190F-8/U1 WNr 584219 Air Min 29

Messerschmitt 110G-4/R6 WNr 730301 Air Min 34

Junkers 188D-2 WNr 150245 Air Min 35

Heinkel 219A-2 WNr 310106 Air Min 44

Heinkel 162A-2 WNr 120098 Air Min 67

Arado 234B WNr 140356 Air Min 226

Arado 234B WNr 140113 Air Min 54

Blohm and Voss BV 222C WNr 330052 VP501

Fieseler 156C-7 WNr 475081 Air Min 101 re-coded VP546 from May 15th 1946 onwards.

Messerschmitt 163B WNr unknown, VF214 (not be be confused with Air Min 214).

Focke Wulf 190A-4/U8 WNr 7155 PE882

Probably flown by him while commander of 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight.

Henschel 129B-1 WNr 0297 NF 756

Messerschmitt 410A-3 WNr 10259 TF 209

Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/U2 WNr 412951 TP814

Edited by BradG

Any ideas where we might find photos/schemes of the aircraft he actually flew?

I am particularly interested in the Macchi 205

It could be CVV, captured by 3 squadron RAAF on Sicily, or one of the few MC 205's that flew to allied held airfields to fight with the co belligerent airforce after Italy's surrender. If he was there before Italy's capitulation, my money would be on the RAAF captured aircraft, as I know of no other 205 that fell into allied hands.

Wow.... I did not know Eric Brown, but i just had a look at Wikipedia, and also saw the list... What a fantastic life.

Actually, this Group build is almost a "build whatever you want" group build !

A "build an aircraft Eric Brown never flew" would have been more restrictive ! :)

Edited by Zero77

From the top of my head, I should have the following planes in my stash.

F4U Corsair

Dauntless

Fw190A

Mirage III

Hellcat

He 162

P-38 Lightning

Phantom II

Me 262

Bf 109

P-51D Mustang

Spitfire

and Macchi 205 too if I don't recall wrong. :)

Just have to decide which one :)

HÃ¥kan

Well, that's the particular research challenge with this GB! I have Wings of the Luftwaffe, which may provide details of the Luftwaffe aircraft he flew, but I don't know of any other source that would do the same for the Macchi 205. When I get time, I'll flick through my book and list what I find here.

Good luck in your search, Mike!

Kev

You are right, trying to find out what variant he flew has been fun!! I've been able to find a few, but I have to wonder if like the Spitfire he flew all or most variants. Time frame could also rule a few out as well. Still haven't decided on any specific build, so many to choose...

Don

This will be a great tribute to a great man and pilot!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do to be honest, but I definitely want to participate. Maybe the new Revell FW190F8?

Will have to push some other plans aside, and maybe start in a month or two, but looking forward to this!