Roden O-2 Skymaster due in November

Kagemusha

Guest The Southern Bandit

Eric reinforced the landing gear on his Birddog with metal wire, though I can't remember what type.

Kev

I was thinking stiff wire bent and shaped to resemble hydraulic braking lines would work, seriously thinking on the Birddog Roden kit too now and the how to book ... it never ends, LOL, this hobby is so addictive :)

As regards this new Roden 0-2 Skymaster, mine is on its way from Ukraine and should be here for Christmas will wait and see once I get mine ... maybe Roden will have considered the undercarriage issue and it might not be as bad as we think? Someone here mentioned all clear fuselage parts might be best and then masked than those stepped canopy glazing options I've seen before, kinda agree ... but my experience with large clear plastic fuselage parts has not been good, very brittle, harder to clean up and just not nice to work with in larger parts ETC.

For sure, looks like this kit will need some AM and perhaps better decal options for sure, so perhaps not such an OOB quick build as I'd hoped ... awesome subject though, quite excited about it really.

O

imodeler has a very bad kit review from one example. Very disappointing indeed. Nothing lines up, warped badly, terrible decals with mis-spellings, cracked and non clear glass. I was looking forward to this kit. Going to wait on more reviews before I jump.

Ouch, hope mine has none of those problems but will report back how it is once I receive mine ... I really should wait before buying ... hoping for best still, though.

Thanks for feedback ... have you got a link for imodeler, not sure what that is? website/magazine?

Uuuuuuch!    Damn. Im tired of ill fitting kits TBH. *SIGH*      

I will build this one too, hoping my copy is not as warped and/or cracked at that!!      Does anyone actually have the kit in hand to check if their kit is warped and or cracked clear parts too?

To be fair though, this appears to be more of a production quality control issue than a kit design issue.  Perhaps they'll see the light.

Im wondering if that guys kit got mushed in handling somehow, and maybe its not all kits that are warped like that. 

I have the kit, clear parts aren't cracked, there is a slight ripple on the curvature on one or two parts, probably be eliminated by sanding and polishing, as the parts are on the sprues, there's no warping, the plastic is quite flexible, so it's not like it would be an effort to move into place.

I think the kit'll look great when assembled, has nice surface detail.

Have posted a decal suggestion over on Caracals thread on ARC -they've produced a set in 1/48.

I have the kit, clear parts aren't cracked, there is a slight ripple on the curvature on one or two parts, probably be eliminated by sanding and polishing, as the parts are on the sprues, there's no warping, the plastic is quite flexible, so it's not like it would be an effort to move into place.

I think the kit'll look great when assembled, has nice surface detail.

Good!   Thanks Andy, that is kinda what I was hoping for.

Have posted a decal suggestion over on Caracals thread on ARC -they've produced a set in 1/48.

I did the same with AOA, since they are seemingly heavy into FAC craft, and have done the O-1 and OV-10 in 32nd already. 

Thanks Kage, yeah, even looking at the imodeler link ... not being snobby, but not the greatest quality pictures there, really not that much wrong in what I see ... the fuselage parts will pull together no problems, its how they pull together and get the front canopy parts fitted will be the acid test I'm sure, not having seeing the kit yet but it would seem much test fitting would be prudent.

Its not gonna be a Tamiya shake and bake kit it seems, some effort will be required, but for a subject like this, at least I'm ready to give it a go and give it my best modelling shot.