The Revell Bristol Beaufighter Mk. I F (E³) - a pleasent present

Big bad Wolf

"How a husband fades when his wife appears."

Curt Goetz

Hello friends,

she means well to me - and I got the Revell Bristol Beaufighter Mk. IF from Revell by my beloved honey as a unexpected present. Prioritseing everything new... 

So I decided without hesitation to surf through the www and I really found a nice colour scheme reducing the giant size of the kit a bit I hope:

MKM14435%20Beaufighter%20Mk.IC_camoBIG_z

its copied from the backsite of a 1/144 kit:

MKM14435%20Beaufighter%20Mk.IC_camo_zpsm

What are your tips, hints and tricks for her?

I've never dealt with the "doubleB" :wicked:

I played a bit with MSpaint - so it possible to do something like this to the kit?

Bristol_BeaufighterMk_VrotorEng_zpshnce5

Updating to Mk V with a quadrogun turret - but keeping the engines rotray? - they look so nice :whistle:

Bristol_BeaufighterTF%20Mk_V_zpsejbbgpal

Or giving the viewer a bigger opening looking into the kit? Or can I add a torpedo and a  gunner opening to the Mk.IF, too?

To the camouflage scheme:

I found this Picture of a Czech Lib  LV343 at Beaulieu in July-43 with this nice "waves" between grey/green and white

- is this allowed to add to a B²?

Czech%20Lib%20%20LV343%20at%20Beaulieu%2

I saw a  Wellington Mk.VIII in later Coastal Command colours, showing the ASV Mk.II radar antennas on the side and top of the rear fuselage. And I like this - but have there been some addid into a B² ?? This because I am not shure if I want to built a "Torpedo Attacker" or some "Electronic Warefare" - both are so intresting - the colouring of the tin-fish on the one hand and the intesting look of the antannas. 

Edited by Big bad Wolf

I built that one way back in the late '70s and then it got destroyed in my move to Texas.  I have since acquired another one for a nostalgia (old Revell kits) build.  Be riding along with you here to see how your build goes...

Cheers,

Jerry  :piliot:

Edited by K5IKL

Hello thanks for the intrest from your side. This kit will be a trip due to the pure size of the kit.

But as I read at wikipedia that she had a plenty of room in her fuselage I think I'm right to abuse her as an electronice testing plane.

But what I really miss here is the absence of a scale in the pictures a a ruler or a coin to give some idea of the pure size and in the same moment miniaturness of the built parts... so I painted a funny duett of Gretchins from my son's figure collection for Warhammer40k and scewed them on a red quareinch. This might give a optical comparsion to a real measurement. Pictures will follow as soon as possible.

Edited by Big bad Wolf

The Figures are mounted on the red square inch:

20160702_001215_zpsvathn68e.jpg

Now it is saturday and it's bathtubday!

20160702_135526_zps1oqvuahy.jpg

Now the question - what to do with the inner side of the kit: 

20160702_191726_zpsytlgxd3y.jpg

Compaded to the cutthrough:

pic_139_zpsluohgjmy.jpg

Here some technical drawings I figured out to get some idea of the inner structure of the  fuselage.:

Bristol-Beaufighter-Cutaway-Drawing_zpsb

A good overview so we can say the No.47 "Bulkhead" is right in the Revell kit... but with this everything ends...

heaterduct_zpsegvofrgd.jpg

Something about the hydraulic, pneumatic and electip piping and wireing.

img020_zpsvu3gwsb5.jpg

Interesting: Detailling of the tail

Very important for me is the L-form of the  longitudenal straces:

Beaufighter_A8-39_11_med_zpsujvdz5he.jpg

Can this hacht stayed opel for the installation of the new(ish) equipment under the copula?

Beaufighter_A8-39_10_med_zpslsrkdhxy.jpg

Looks like it is opened tothe right side.

Also I found this walk around - and NOW I'm completly confused what is the right shade of green for the cockpit inner colour: Revell says "C" what meens mixing 33%  Yellow matt No. 15 + 33% sea green 48 + 34% stone grey matt75" 

rafm_beaunose_01_zpss90ya8dp.jpg

So what green is right the ugly bright A or the greener B? Or shall I believe in Revell?

But the walkarround shows several shades of green! Look: http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/beaufighter_walkaround.html

Veryimportant are the bulakheads here for the shape of the fuselage. 

BB%20Austr_zpsgzrtqvme.jpg

Here the Cockpit (Australia has an other shape of green???)

19-2_zps4pgkb7ao.jpg

look arround!

Beaufighter_A8-39_13_med_zpsof22ews3.jpg Beaufighter_A8-39_12_med_zpsdvawx8kl.jpg

and the drawing with the bulkheads:

beauf-bklhds_zpsq9vamcgn.jpg

Thanks for watching.& your help!

Edited by Big bad Wolf

Some bad jokes made by Revell in 1974:

20160702_220029_zpsijcx8prh.jpg

20160702_220049_zpstif2d7jq.jpg

That's a pitty but now I know where the equipment is to be placed. I think about building the single parts individually from wood, odds and ends by visceral. Or are there any measurements. Can I write to the museum in Australia to get some of the measurements or pictures?

The E³ will be build from odds&ends - I'm collecting ideas to get some of the instruments in individual ways looking functional and correct for the business the have to  

do. 

The antennas are so special thing and I have to deal with sending and sign-collecting antennas - I can remember some of the shapes of the roof antennas from the 80 - after this data the disapeared in Germany due to the introduction of rubbish sending* private-calbe-TV (and I decided to avoid both* ) So I'll have to find soime books about British radar and electronic equipment...  

' - by comping my TV in the late 90th 

we can view 3,500 hours of TV on every 24 hours of a single day - with out of pay-TV! And so the question is not "What we are going to send intresting for the people to day?" - here the question seems to be "How in hell we fill the gaps between the next two advertisments?" ...and by this I bought inbetween some tousand books.

:oops: 

Edited by Big bad Wolf

Hi all!

Just joined up, making my first post and pretty new to all this. I'm also starting to build this kit. If anyone has any info relating to scratch building inside the fuselage I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

Hi all!

Just joined up, making my first post and pretty new to all this. I'm also starting to build this kit. If anyone has any info relating to scratch building inside the fuselage I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard!

:post1:

I think if you stay tuned to this build thread, you'll learn some of what you need to know. I heard a whisper about some possible upgrade sets being planned for this kit, too, so perhaps we'll hear more about that soon.

Kev

Interesting project! At least two of us here on the forum live only a mile or so away from where these beasties were designed and built, so there will be at least a couple more followers to your thread, eh Tony T??

Tim

Hello,

here I'm again!

I.

I was able to find some evidence for the opening in the fuselage I wrote about above:

Beaufighter_Av_4112_sk_seat_p121_W_zpsgd

It is obviouse that there is a plenty of room in the fuselage to add my EEEs.

So I'll have to change a lot in the kit because the kit hase not really hat the real fuselage was like.

II.

Starting with the bulkheads I'll try to catch the inner line of the visiable stanchions inside also.

But first I'll have to figure out the bulkhead/frames's lines and the stanchion's openings in the bukheads and frames.

II.

But now I've got an important question due to the look from the outside: Scaled in 1/32 is it necessary to simulate the rivets on the outside of the fuselage, too?

And if - is punching them by using a sharped tube in the right diameter a good idea?

Thanks for the wounderfull motivation and your expert's support.

Greetings from here to all of you.

• 8 months later...